Chapter 3

Tempest's POV-

"Why didn't you join the strike?" I asked, once Jack and the others were out of earshot.

"Manhattan needs to prove themselves. With Jack leading them, they don't really stand a chance" Spot shrugged.

"Oh is that what he told you?" I exclaimed.

Spot smirked and said, "Why?"

"I can rule Manhattan better than Jack can any day! Psh! I just made him leave this place!" I yelled, slamming my staff into the boardwalk, making a hole in the deck.

"You know what, never mind you and Brooklyn! I'm fed up with you guys! Worthless! Forget it!" I exclaimed. I could tell Spot was pretty angry about what I just said, calling Brooklyn worthless. Suddenly a newsie struck out, attempting to hit me with his club. I turned around, blocking his attack and forcing the club out of his hand.

"Do not do that... ever again!" I muttered. I grabbed his wrist and twisted it into an odd angle, then taking my staff and swiping his feet off the floor. Finally, I flipped him into the water, landing with a splash. I dusted myself and grabbed my arm, the one place he hit me.

"You know Spot, I thought Brooklyn was better than that!" I smirked, turning to Spot and his newsies who were looking at me in amazement.

"My name's Tempest for a reason. Control your newsies next time. You might actually win" I smirked and his face turned red. I laughed and walked to the water's edge, pulling the fallen newsie up.

"Do not do that ever again" I warned, tucking my staff into my suspender strap. I clutched my arm and started back to Manhattan.

"Wait" I heard and turned around.

"Meet me here tonight" Spot whispered. I looked into his eyes and smirked.

"Nah!" I said and pushed his hand off my shoulder. After getting off the decks, I looked back and yelled, "Maybe"

That brought a smirk to Spot's face.

Jack's POV-

"Jack. So, where's Spot?" Race said when we reach Newsie Square.

"He was concerned about us being serious. You imagine that?" I said, awestruck.

"Well, Jack, maybe we ought to ease off a little." Race confessed.

"Without Spot and the others, there ain't enough of us, Jack." Blink shrugged.

"Maybe we're moving too soon. Maybe we ain't ready, you know?" Mush agreed.

"I definitely think we should forget about it for a little while." Blink agreed.

"Oh, do ya?" I asked.

"Yeah." Skittery argued.

"Yeah, I mean, without Brooklyn... you know?" Race confessed.

"Spot was right, is this just a game to you guys?" I gasped.

"Tempest is negotiating with Spot now. You know her charmspeak" Boots added, supporting me. I heard a loud snap coming from behind me. All my newsies turned white. I heard a few "Uh Oh's" coming from them. I turned around and saw Tempest standing there. She was holding a stick, snapped in half.

"You? The leader of Manhattan? Sure!" she yelled.

"What?" I said.

Tempest's POV-

"Spot told me that you ruled Manhattan alone. You know you can't do that without my help!" I exclaimed.