Chapter Seventeen

"Isaac, slow down!" I yell as I follow him, squinting in the darkness to see his lanky figure moving at a fast pace in front of me. We'd just gotten off of a bus and arrived back in Beacon Hills. I have no idea where Isaac is taking me, but it was hard to focus on anything other than the words he'd uttered before. Stiles wouldn't have hurt me, he couldn't have! So why did I feel an undeniable sinking feeling in my stomach?

When I finally catch up to Isaac I recognise where we are immediately. Stiles' house. "What the hell are we doing here?" I whisper, the quiet, dark night suddenly feeling ominous and threatening.
"We're searching," he replies matter of factly, looking around the front porch.
"Searching?"
"For evidence." Isaac finds a key in a nearby pot plant, brushes the dirt particles from it and unlocks the door.
"Isaac! We can't just break into someone's house. Especially if the owner is the Sheriff."
"We're not going to ruin anything. Plus it's a Friday night, the Sherrif will be busy at the station wrangling drunk teenagers. We'll only be five minutes."

I hobble down the hallway to where Isaac is opening Stiles' bedroom door, and as I step inside the room I'm flooded by memories of Stiles' party. I look over to the spot in front of his bed where I'd found him passed out and gulp. Isaac flicks a lamp on, sending a glow throughout the room. He begins to look around, making a bee line for Stiles' closet.

"How do you know it was him?" I ask, feeling stupid for not questioning Isaac's accusation earlier.
"When I got attacked I hit my head and everything from that night was a blurry mess. When I saw Stiles on the camping trip, all the memories came flooding back, and I remember seeing his face." There's a bitter, resentful tone to Isaac's voice as I feel a lump form in my throat. "What about this, tell me you remember this." Isaac holds a black hoodie in his hand. It does ring a bell in my mind, but the hoodie was the only thing I could see at the night of the prom.
"Sort of, but a lot of people where black hoodies," I reply as I walk over and trace a finger across the material.

Isaac throws the hoodie down onto the bed. "Don't you trust me?" He asks, hurt in his voice. I stutter, his words mirroring those of Stiles on the flying fox.
"Of course I do," I finally utter. "It's just, attempted murder is a pretty big accusation to make, I just want to be sure that it really was Stiles."
"This looks like pretty solid evidence to me." My head snaps up as I furrow my eyebrow and turn to face Isaac. He's kneeling next to Stiles' bed, and has pulled out a zip lock bag from underneath it. What's in the bag makes me heart sink. A small, but sharp knife sits at the bottom of the bag, and upon closer inspection I note specks of blood  across the weapon. It makes my stomach do a flip. "This is proof," Isaac says after the long silence, as if I couldn't remember what had stabbed me.

I place my hand on my stomach, right over the spot where I'd been injured, feeling the bandage that still covers the wound. The lump in my throat intensifies, making it difficult to breathe. "We should take this to the police station," I manage to utter. "They can do fingerprinting, get witness statements of where Stiles' was when we were attacked." I pace back and forth slightly, trying to make sense of the evidence before me. Isaac scoffs.
"What good will that do? Stiles' father is the Sheriff of this whole damn town, he'll find a way to get his son off any charges." My phone rings before I can answer. "Lydia, don't answer that," Isaac pleads, his voice shaky. I contemplate hanging up but when I see that the caller is Allison I turn away from Isaac and answer the call.

"Where are you and Isaac?" Allison asks before I even have time to say hello.
"Uh, we had to come back to Beacon Hills." I note the frantic tone in her voice.
"So you're safe?"
"Yes, why?"
"Stiles is missing. We can't find him anywhere." I can sense that Allison is choking back tears, and I have to lean back against a wall in order to steady myself.
"I'm sure he's alright," I reply, not sure whether to tell her of what Isaac and I had found.
"No, he can't be. They found blood near his cabin. The police came and everything and when they tested the blood it matched Stiles' DNA."
I don't know how to respond, I'm shocked, angry and worried all at the same time, not to mention tired from the long ride home. I hang up and quickly tell Isaac what's occurred.

"We have to go find him," I say frantically as I take a quick look around to make sure Stiles' room is the way it was when we entered.
"Why, Lydia? Are you forgetting what he did to you?" Isaac's angry tone stops me in my tracks.
"He's missing, Isaac. Probably hurt. We can't just sit here and do nothing!" Isaac steps closer to me, making me instinctively take a step backwards. "Do you forget how he hurt you? Do you not remember the knife piecing through your stomach, or him leaving you to bleed out on that field?" Isaac shakes the knife at me. I begin to feel nervous, my body shaking slightly at Isaac's intensity.

"I-uh, I think I better go," I say gently, beginning to walk to the door. I take a step towards the door, but as I do Isaac mirrors my actions and steps in front of me, blocking my access to the door.
"I'm afraid we can't have that." Isaac's voice has changed immediately, it suddenly has a menacing and sarcastic tone to it. "That would ruin my plan, and we don't want that, now do we?" A smirk spreads across his face slowly as his eyes lock with mine. And then his fist raises in the air and bashes across my head hard, causing me to fall to the ground and black out.