Chapter 22

The Gravers piled into a few official vehicles, then followed Merl's VW down highway 101 to the WexlerPharma compound in South San Francisco. The convoy pulled off the road into a dirt lot near the garbage processing center that was adjacent to the company's massive security fence that circled the perimeter. I watched the seagulls swoop and circle above us as DeSpain, Merl and Weller huddled together, planning how to get in. I could tell from the looks on their faces and the wild waving of hands that the three people responsible for keeping the zombies of Colma under control couldn't agree on the best way to deal with Ms. Sherwood.

"I might have an idea," I said, trying to insert myself into the argument.

"Fuck off, Zed," Weller said. "Leave the thinking to people with fully functional brains."

Merl scowled at her remark, but didn't object. I stepped away and kept myself out of Weller's eye line, but stayed close enough to listen in on the various proposals. I don't know why they didn't decide on this before we left Graver HQ. While they debated the merits of a frontal assault on the compound verses trying to sneak in, I watched the other Gravers who were waiting for their leaders to make up their minds. For the most part, they ignored us, too busy smoking cigarettes or sharpening their weapons to pay attention. But when one of them would happen to glance our way, there was always a barely concealed look of disgust as they met my gaze. You'd think I'd be used to it by now, but it still cut. These men and women might be willing to fight for Gretchen and Penny, but busting heads on my behalf might be too much to ask.

DeSpain was suggested a fifth version of storming the gates when I decided I'd listened long enough.

"I've got a better plan," I said.

The three air breathers were too busy arguing to notice I'd spoken. Finally I just pushed myself into their circle.

"I said, I've got a better plan."

"What is it, Gordon?" Merl asked. He looked tired.

"I walk in the front door and give myself up."

"Un-uh!" Weller said. "I ain't lettin' that no good company get their hands on exactly what they need to start making more groaners. Penny and Gretchen just ain't worth it."

"They are," I said, angrily. "They're alive, I'm not. If I go in alone, Sherwood will probably let them walk out the door. And when they do, you and the gravers can all assault the building and clean up."

"She may not need you alive," Merl said. "Or, undead. You know what I mean."

"I don't care," I said.

"And if she doesn't let Gretchen and Penny go?" DeSpain asked.

"Then you all come storming in while I distract them."

"You've got an answer for everything, don't you," Weller said sarcastically.

"Yeah, I do, so why don't you listen for minute? There's a back door, by the loading dock. You should be able to hack your way through it with one of the Graver's truncheons. I don't recall seeing any cameras back there. You might even catch them by surprise."

"I don't think so," Weller said dismissively.

"Not your decision," I said. "I won't risk anybody else getting hurt over me."

"He's right," Merl said. "This gives us the best chance of getting the girls. And whatever they do to Gordon, they won't have long enough to learn anything from him."

"If he's willing to take the risk I say we let him," DeSpain said, piling on. "Three to one, Weller. This is how we do it."

"You really think we can take them by surprise?" Weller asked.