Chapter 8: The Dress Dilemma

Astrid's POV

"Oh, Astrid!" Ruffnut's raspy voice rang through my ears, waking me from my slumber.

"Ruffnut?" My eyes fluttered open as I was met by the sight of Ruffnut Thorston herself, standing over me as I was waking up. "What are you doing here?"

"What's happening?" Hiccup grumbled as he tightened his grip around my waist before opening his eyes and almost falling out of the bed at the sight of Ruffnut. "Ruffnut?! What the Hel are you doing in our room?"

Hiccup loosened his grip around me as he sat up on his elbows, wide awake as he nearly glared a hole through Ruffnut's skull.

"Calm down, Hiccy, we're here for Astrid! Which is why you're welcome to go back to sleep at any time" Ruffnut exclaimed, gesticulating wildly as she plopped down on the side of our bed.

"We're?" I ran a hand across my face as I attempted to sink further down into the sea of furs and pillows that was mine and Hiccup's bed.

Ruffnut grinned as she nodded, which was followed by Valka entering the room, a warm smile on her face as she sat down on the other side of the bed.

"Mom, you're here too?" Hiccup pinched the bridge of his nose. "Please don't tell me that the rest of the village is downstairs"

"Relax, Hiccup" Valka chuckled as she brushed away some stray strands of hair from her son's face. "Ruffnut and I plus some of the other women on Berk are just going to help you two out with the wedding planning, as is the tradition"

Hiccup fell back down onto the bed, letting out a deep sigh as placed his hands over his face. "So what you're saying is that all the women on this island are standing right outside my front door?"

Valka hesitantly shrugged as she patted her son on the shoulder, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. I could help but chuckle at my soon-to-be husband as I slid out of bed.

"That's the spirit Astrid! Now, get dressed, we've got things to do and people to see!" Ruffnut cheered as Valka nearly pushed her down the stairs, finally allowing us some privacy.

As I was slipping into my outfit of the day, I couldn't help but notice Hiccup's eye wandering to the other side of the room, which was lacking the night fury that usually slept there.

"Where in the name of Thor is that dragon now?" Hiccup groaned as he too got out of bed. But his question was quickly answered as the roof over our heads began shaking, followed by the loud 'thud!' of someone or something, landing on it.

"You're too late, little buddy, they're already awake!" Ruffnut's rapsy voice came from downstairs, ringing all through the house as the sound of a disappointed growl could be
heard from above.

I shook my head with yet another chuckle as I picked up my axe and gave Hiccup a quick peck on the cheek before I ran downstairs.

***

"No" I refused as I crossed my arms. "There is no way I'm wearing that thing, absolutely no way"

"But why not? I think it looks gorgeous on you!" Valka smiled as she held up the long, off-the-shoulder ivory dress, which had beautiful golden flowers and markings embroidered into the sides of it. She traced her fingers along the golden stitches.

"You know, she has a point" Ruffnut stated from where she sat in the corner of the room, picking her teeth with a splinter.

"Yes, it may look gorgeous on me, and yes, it may be beautiful, but that doesn't mean I want to wear it for hours on end!" I argued, turning away from the other women in the room.

"I really don't see the problem here, it's not like you don't wear skirts every day" Ruffnut pointed out as she threw the splinter she had been picking her teeth with out the window.

I remained silent, mostly because there was some logic to what Ruffnut was pointing out to me.

"Astrid" Valka came over to me, placing her hand on my shoulder. "I understand if you don't want to wear the dress, it can indeed get a little annoying at times, but think about how happy everyone will be once they see their future chieftess, all dressed up!"

I shrugged, finally turning back towards Valka. "I ... I just don't know"

"Listen, I get it if you're nervous, I really do. When I married Stoick, I was only seconds away from screaming at the top of my lungs before flinging myself off a cliff" Valka chuckled at the memory. "But the second I laid my eyes upon Stoick and saw that he was just as nervous as I was, everything I had been stressing over for the past weeks all melted away. Everything from the flowers to the dress, nothing mattered. The only thing that mattered was the two of us, and our union"

I furrowed my brows. "But why do I have to wear a dress then?"

Valka shrugged as she patted my cheek. "You don't have to do anything you don't want to, but I know a few people who would like to see the beautiful bride in an equally gorgeous dress on their wedding day"

I slowly nodded, letting all the new information sink in. "Fine, I'll wear the dress"

"Really?" Valka and Ruffnut's faces both lit up.

I nodded, a smile slowly creeping onto my face as I laid my eyes upon the dress. "Yes, really"

"Oh my gods!" Valka squealed as she ushered Ruffnut to go outside and tell the others of my decision. "I can't wait to make your flower crown, braid your hair and decorate for the big day!"

I chuckled at Valka, who seemed to be beaming with pride. "Really? You don't say"

Valka calmed down as she carefully hung the gown over a chair. A warm smile brightened her features as the corners of her eyes began to water. "You don't know how happy this makes me, Astrid. You don't know how happy I am to see my son marry the woman he loves, how happy I am to finally get that daughter Stoick and I always dreamed of. Thank you so much for this opportunity, my darling Astrid"

I felt my heart melt in my chest as a tear rolled down Valka's cheek and she wrapped her arms around me, pulling me into a big hug. I placed my arms around her and hugged her back, both thanking her for her kind words and to let her know that I felt the same way.