4. "Princess Nora? It's time to embrace your future."

"SHE is not yours to take!"

I heard yelling as I entered in from the kitchen.

"She is not yours to keep either!" a voice I didn't recognize yelled back.

"Sam?" I called out. The yelling went quiet.

"In the lounge," Sam called back. I dropped my school bag and walked into the lounge room. If I hadn't had heard anything earlier on, I would have thought everything was fine. There were cookies on the table, and Sam as well as another woman were sitting on the couch. Their tense positions said otherwise.

"Nora, meet Mackenzie Duluth." Sam said, tensely gesturing to the other woman. Mackenzie looked like she was in her late thirties, and her short dark hair was slightly greying. She wore a neat business suit, and she straightened up as my gaze matched hers.

"uh Sam, I'm El-"

Sam cut me off. "Eleanor, of course." Her gaze told me to be quiet.

"A pleasure to meet you Nor-Eleanor," Mackenzie said, sticking out her hand. I hesitantly shook it. Her grip was firm, and her hand was cold. Her eyes staring into mine gave me chills. "I believe you are ready to come with me?" She asked.

"Wait, what? Sam? What's going on?" I asked, searching Sam for answers.

"Tut, tut, Samantha, haven't you told her a single thing? Now, the Princess has a right to know," Mackenzie said. Princess? I thought in my mind. The creepy lady knows, but doesn't know. She thinks I'm Nora... Where is Nora?

"What don't I know?" I demanded.

"Oh, not much," Mackenzie said. "Just that Sam has been keeping you on planet Earth, way above the limit of your time on earth, and now it's your turn to return to your own planet. Luna needs you, and its your time to rule as the rightful ruler."

Luna? Oh yea right, Nora's home planet... My home planet...

"Wait what?" I said, taking this all in, knowing I was supposed to be pretending to be Nora. Why wasn't I informed of this earlier? I thought that the Luna population was all gone!"

"Oh, it's far from gone," Mackenzie said. "It's thriving better than ever. But right now, your father has contracted the plague, so Luna is preparing herself for a new leader,"

"I didn't know Nor- my father was still alive. And there is no cure for the... plague?" I said, covering my slip up.

"No known cure yet. Scientists of course are working on this, and if a cure is to be found, your father will be the first one to get it. Provided he is still living of course. Which is highly unlikely," Informed Mackenzie, sparkling rings tapping against the marble table as she reached for a cookie. She said all this in which the manner that someone would have said 'Oh, and by the way, did you know that the sky is blue?'.

"Excuse me," Sam interrupted. "If I may, I would like to talk to Princess Nora in private,"

"Of course," Mackenzie said. "Don't let me stop you,". Sam led my upstairs into her study.

"Listen, okay Ellie, and listen close," Sam said in a hushed whisper. "Nora is in danger, she cannot go back to Luna, its barbaric there. I have always treated you as an equal, but now your time has come. You must fulfil your duty. You must protect Princess Nora, and in order to do that, you must go with Mackenzie and take her place. Become her, okay?"

I nodded, scared. "Where's Nora?" I asked. 'Does she know?"

"Safe, and no," Sam responded. "You have to go with Mackenzie, and whatever you do, you cannot, must not try and contact us, or let anyone know that you are not Nora, okay? I'll try what I can to get you out of there. You're more than a clone, you're my daughter. Be brave," Sam said, pulling me into a hug. I stood limply as Sam embraced me.

I've always thought of Sam as my sort of mother, and to leave her was almost unthinkable. And to be told that my life would constantly be in danger, well that was no joy ride. I forced myself to embrace my future. 'You're just a clone, Ellie, that's what you're made for'. A million and one thoughts buzzing through my head, my feet lead me back into the lounge, Sam pushing me along.

"She will come with you," Sam said.

"Good," Mackenzie replied, then turning to me, she said, "Princess Nora? It's time to embrace your future,"