ღ Finding Cinderella (23)

Start from the beginning

A few minutes later, Erik jogged back to the bench where I sat. "Sorry if I've been getting too many calls," he said with an apologetic smile. "My friend Monique is just so stubborn."

Upon hearing the name, I gulped down an icy chunk of milkshake that I'd been slurping and coughed. "Monique? Mayfield?" I managed to say. "You know each other?"

Okay, that was a dumb question. Everyone at school knew her.

"Yeah. Actually, we've known each other since middle school, and she's in some of my classes this year," he answered. "And the reason she's been calling me is that she's trying to compare her physics assignment with mine. It's something she always does."

"I see. You must be wicked smart in physics, then."

"I'll take that as a compliment," he said with a chuckle.

For a little while, we sat in silence. I continued to sip the rest of my milkshake, making my loud slurping sound our background music, and watched a few people taking a night stroll in the park.

Erik cleared his throat, and I turned my head to him.

"So, uh, did you have fun?" he asked.

"Y-yeah!" I was still feeling panicky being alone with him.

Erik beamed as relief washed over his face. Had he also been nervous this whole time? I hadn't thought of that. "Great. Let's do this again next time if you want, but somewhere much better, of course."

My heart started to bang against my ribcage. Should I say yes or no? I didn't want to be mean to him, but at the same time, I didn't want to be hopeful. It confused me. I mean, I liked him as a friend now, and I had really liked him ages ago, but I could still remember the time when he hadn't acknowledged what I'd felt for him. I was still feeling a bit of a sting from the "ouch" factor of someone not being interested in me.

It had become a tiresome cycle of me getting my hopes up and then being ultimately crushed in the end.

Not knowing the right thing to say in return, I only smiled.

"Oh yeah, I have something for you," he said.

I raised an eyebrow at him, and he gestured for me to turn around. I did and squeezed my eyes shut when I felt hands and warm breath brushing the nape of my neck.

"There."

I opened my eyes and looked down. It was a silver and blue necklace. Its crystals formed a perfect circle, glowing as the light of the lamppost bounced on them.

I turned back to him, my mouth hanging open.

"Do you like it?" asked Erik.

"Are you kidding me?" My spaz mode was reactivated. "Of course! This is the prettiest thing I've seen today. Holy shit, who knew I'd ever wear this kind of jewelry? Wait, wait, wait. This can't be for me, right?"

He laughed. "It's for you. And it looks great on you."

"You're really kidding me."

"Whether you believe me or not, it suits you. The blue brings out the color of your eyes."

Okay, that was sweet. I was melting in my sneakers.

"You know what, Kylie? I think dresses would certainly flatter you. Out of all the other girls at the Ball, you were the one that stood out. Why don't you try wearing a dress again for a change?"

My smile dwindled. I actually had girly clothes lying in the deepest part of my closet, the kind that showed off the shoulders and stuff, but they made me feel uncomfortable.