Twenty Two. A Fatal Secret Sealed with a Kiss

Start from the beginning

I jumped a foot in the air when I heard glass breaking and loud cursing. My pulse picked up speed, and I became increasingly nervous with the situation going on downstairs.

"That mouth of yours is always putting you in sticky situations," Aidan's dad said in a flat voice. "It's time you learn to respect your superiors."

"The day you get any type of respect from me is the day Hell freezes over," Aidan retorted.

Multiple of things followed Aidan's statement. More glass was shattered, foul language was thrown around, groaning ensued, and a door slammed.

I had just about decided to go downstairs to see what was going on, so I could make sure Aidan was okay. I honestly didn't care what promise he had made me make. Everything I had heard unfold downstairs had successfully made me a nervous wreck. Especially the glass breaking.

I was pulling open the door when Aidan burst into the room. I gasped at the sight of him.

"Oh my god," I said loudly.

I took in the gash just under the bone of his eye. Blood was dripping down his face. There was enough blood sliding down his face to make me woozy.

"Aidan, your ey-"

He swiftly grabbed my hand and the book bag he had dropped earlier simultaneously and dragged me out of the room and down the stairs.

I practically had to run to keep with his long strides as we made our way out the door. I noticed a broken bottle of what looked to be alcohol on the carpet by one of the couches as well as shards of glass littering the floor before I was pushed out.

"Wait, wait, wait!"

I hit Aidan's arm, trying to get him to slow down so he could explain to me what exactly happened, but he continued ignoring me as we rushed up to hi bike.

He slung Briella's book bag over his shoulder, climbing on and handed me my helmet.

"Get on," he commanded.

"No," I took a step back. "Not until you tell me what happened. There was yelling and glass breaking and then you come back to me with a cut under your eye. Did your dad-"

"It's fine," he insisted, cutting off my rambling. "Just get on, so we can get out of here."

I stared at him in disbelief. Was he really attempting to brush this off?

"Demi," he snapped. He gave me a look that indicted he wasn't in the mood to bicker with me.

"Fine," I stuck the helmet on my head. "But we have to stop at my house, so we can attempt to fix your eye."

"My eye is fine."

"It is gushing blood."

"And?"

"Aidan."

"Okay," he sighed with resignation. "If it'll make you get on."

"It will," I climbed on the back. "Maybe I should drive. Are you feeling dizzy? Sick? Is the world spinning?"

"Demi," I could practically feel his eyes rolling. "Me dazed and operating this vehicle would still be less dangerous than you one hundred percent functioning and operating it."