Up The Way- {Destiel}

As the night went on, the two laughed and chatted. Small talk turned to long conversations, minutes turned to hours. Soon enough, the midnight hour rolled by and it was time to part ways.

"I had a great time tonight, Dean."

"I double on that. And I gotta hand it to you- You make a mean casserole."

"Why thank you, Dean. I try my best," he smiled brightly, "You'll call me, right?"

"I wouldn't count on it," Castiel's eyes widened, "Kidding! Of course I'll call you." He sighed in relief and Dean chuckled at Castiel's reaction.

As the noise died down, complete silence took it's place. Dean bit his bottom lip teasingly causing Castiel to close his eyes and exhale. Fluttering his eyes open once more, he hesitated.

"I'm a bit rusty," Castiel apprehensively divulged.

"Is that an offer for me to oil you up?" Dean teased, wiggling his eyebrows. Castiel gasped and playfully slapped him on the shoulder.

"Oh- hey! Ouch!" he laughed, "I'm kidding." Though Castiel could sense the small bit of seriousness hidden within his tone.

"Way to ruin the moment, Winchester," he childishly pouted. Dean pinched his cheek.

"The moment is far from ruined for the night is young."

"It's 12 in the morning, Dean," Castiel said flatly.

"I take that as my cue to leave."

Castiel chuckled as the man exited his apartment with a goofy smile. Just as Dean entered the elevator, the two made eye contact. The doors took a while to close and Castiel regretted every second he wasted not running up to Dean and kissing him. Nothing could prepare him for the phone call he was about to receive.

Later that morning, his traditional ringtone 'Can't Help Falling In Love' began to play. Expecting it to be a call from Dean, he answered elatedly, "It's only been half an hour. Miss me already, don't ya?"

"Is this Castiel Novak?" the woman spoke. Castiel's breathing stopped for a split second as he searched for his next line.

"Y-yes. Who is this?" he stated nervously.

"We found this number in Dean Winchester's pocket before he lost consciousness," she explained, "He was in a car crash." Castiel gasped and quickly hung up the phone.

***

It was 12:30 in the morning. The unusual traffic was unbearable, and Cas thought on whether or not he should ditch the car and run it through. 'Risk the ticket, or rush to Dean.' He had no other choice, so he took his keys from the ignition and ran out the door to the side of the road, not bothering to shut and lock it. The wind collected beneath the flap of his trench coat. The noise of air forcing itself onto the fabric began to annoy Cas, and he ripped the coat off his shoulders in one clumsy move.

Once he had reached the faithful glowing sign that read 'Vista Hospital' just across the street, he raised his hopes. Cas gave one last breath of relief before sprinting through the automatic doors and straight to the front desk. "Castiel Novak. I'm here to see Dean Winchester," he stated, slightly panicked and very exhausted.

"What is your relation to this patient, Mr. Novak?" the woman questioned politely.

"I'm his boyfriend." Her eyes slightly widened, but she quickly concealed her disapproval with a fake smile.

"6th floor, room 66," she said with a smirk, "How convenient..." Of course, she whispered the last part to herself. Castiel was about to protest but decided to dismiss the homophobic woman's rude comment and rushed to the elevator. To add to Castiel's anxiety, and elderly couple and their disabled grandson took their time into getting in. Castiel used every muscle in his body not to urge them to hurry up. His patience was running low and he just needed to last 2 more minutes so he could see Dean.

The elevator stopped on the fourth floor, and the family got off, taking their time. Castiel bit the inner part of his cheek and once they were all gone, he immediately pushed the 'close door' button and the elevator gradually made it it's way to the fifth floor. And yet again was their another obstacle in his path. It wasn't moving. "Oh, you have got to be kidding me." He searched for the red button, pushing and pulling it.

It took about an hour until the technician got the the elevator safely running again. One hour of Castiel digging into his nails and banging the back of his head frustratedly against the wall. One hour of him slowly losing his sanity. Finally.

Room 66

"Dean?" Castiel called, opening the door. Dean tiredly smiled.

"Cas... You made it," he joked, "I was beginning to think you weren't gonna make it."

"Why wouldn't I?" he asked.

"Well, for one thing, it's three in the morning, and two, we've only been on one date and you were already getting a phone call from the authorities!" Castiel grinned and softly shoved his shoulder.

"Don't be so modest."

"I speak the trust and nothing else."

"Sorry I took to long to get here, by the way. Just trying to get here was crazily unbearable." The doctor opened the door. 'Woah... hello, Dr. Sexy,' the nurse's eyes practically shouted.

"Mr. Winchester, how're you feeling?"

"As good as I look, doc. Does that clipboard of yours agree?" Dr. Sexy laughed.

"A few minor bruises around your lower abdomen and a couple of scratches. Other than that, you're good to leave as soon as I'm done talking," he said, "You're a very lucky man, Dean." Dean stared into Castiel's blue orbs.

"Yes I am."

Castiel and Dean exited the room once Dean had changed into his normal clothes. Entering the elevator, Castiel hits the 1st floor button. And of course, the quality of the elevator was the same quality as the lady back at the front desk: Old and in desperate need of fixing. The Cas groans frustratedly as the elevator shifts to a stop on the fourth floor.

"Huh. What's with elevators?" Dean asked cluelessly. Castiel chuckled.

"Oh, Dean. You have no idea..."