2. Apartment

I unlocked my apartment and Rat followed me in. He shut the door and locked it and said "Ace always says to lock doors." I nodded.

Rat took off his dirty black jacket and his muddy shoes. I looked at the kid. Skinny, dark hair, worn out jeans, black shirt, and black socks. Then he was off and looking at the apartment.

I said "it's not much but it's home." He looked around the apartment. It had light tan carpet and eggshell colored walls. Black drapes were pulled over the window so people wouldn't peak in. A black dresser sat in one corner of the room and a black recliner sat beside the window. The small kitchen that came with a little sink, tiny oven, microwave and mini fridge sat through a door way and on the other side of the room was the bathroom that had a tub/shower, toilet and sink and a small washer and dryer in a closet. Then a twin bed with black and white sheets laid beside the dresser.

Rat looked around in wonder. I looked at him "well... Go take your shower and give me your dirty clothes and then we can eat." Rat grinned and followed me to the bathroom. I handed him a towel and wash rag and set out another toothbrush for him. He said "thank you Kayda." I nodded and said "you're very welcome Rat."

I showed him how to work the shower and what to use then walked out. He threw his clothes out of the bathroom and shut it. I heard a squeal of joy after a moment as I began to wash Rats shirt, jeans, underwear, socks, and jacket.

A moment later I started to dig through my dresser and found a big t-shirt and a pair of comfy shorts for him to wear to bed. I heard the dryer go off and grabbed his underwear and set them beside the door then headed back into the kitchen to finish cooking.

I heard him cough as he entered into the little kitchen. He said "it smells REALLY good!" I nodded and said "yeah I cooked a couple burgers on a fryer, and added cheese." I handed him his plate of burger and fries and he went to the tiny table and started chowing down. I smiled and brought him a cup of water.

I sat in front of him and ate my first burger as he downed his third. I smiled at him. What a cute kid. His hair was still a little wet and fell in dark brown ringlets around his head. He had big brown eyes and a few freckles dotting his nose. He leaned back in his chair, obviously full. He smiled at me sleepily. I laughed and said "go brush your teeth." To which he slowly got up and headed to the bathroom.

After I cleaned up the kitchen and headed to the bathroom he was asleep on my bed. I fixed him underneath the covers and went to the bathroom.

After I had finished with my shower and brushed my teeth I sat in the recliner by the window. I could hear Rat snoring softly. I closed my eyes an leaned back in the cozy chair. Soon sleep over took me and I went off into a deep sleep.