23.) Realizations

“We’re going to the movies with Taylor and her friends this weekend.” Holly informed me. “And in two weeks is Kale’s birthday, so can you guys help me think of some birthday ideas?”

“Birthday sex is always an option.” Andy suggested as we, all four of us girls, were all sitting at the dining room table and eating our breakfast which, today, was cereal.

“Birthday sex is always a must.” Holly corrected. “But I need something more.”

“Let’s just get drunk on the beach again,” Elle grinned. “That was fun.”

I held back a snort- more like the beginning of all of my problems. It’s been a few weeks since my argument with my mother and she’s left countless emails that I haven’t even opened, since she is notified when I open a message, so I just don’t open them. My dad has called me a few times, but I don’t answer. I meant it when I told her that I don’t want to talk to her. Also, in those past few weeks, me and Jackson have upped our sex count to nine so far, and still counting- unfortunately.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the sex, but it’s like we’re just digging ourselves into a much deeper hole each time. Like, our metaphorical hole is opening up into China right now as we speak. I don’t talk to Holly too much, both because she’s always with Kale and because it’s so awkward, since I’m kind of sleeping with her brother behind her back and I know that’s a shitty thing to do as her best friend, but she’s never around. I’ve tried telling her, but she just won’t listen because she always has to go somewhere or meet Kale and she just doesn’t have time to be my friend right now. I’m pretty sure she doesn’t even know about my war with my parents that has been initiated.

“Libby, do you have any ideas?” Andy asked me.

I shrugged. “Nope, I can’t think of a thing. I mean, a nice dinner would be nice, just the two of you, I suppose.” But that wouldn’t be anything special since they go out to dinner together all of the freaking time, but I don’t say that.

“That’s so plain, though, I have to make his birthday huge.” Holly said.

“We’re in Australia, that’s kind of huge. Anyway, we don’t know anybody here, you can’t just throw him a party, who would you invite other than the neighbors?” Elle rebutted.

“Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Holly huffed. “I will make him a cake, though, that will happen.”

“You can’t bake.” Andy laughed.

“No, but Libby can, right?” Holly asked me.

Honestly, I’d zoned out, but hearing my name kinda pushed me back into the conversation. “Wha?”

She smirked at me. “You weren’t listening, you were too busy thinking about Damon.” She sang teasingly.

“I do not like him.” I protested for the billionth time, but she still won’t have any of it. Damon’s a nice guy and a great friend, but my mind is obviously a little preoccupied in the romance department. “But I can help you bake a cake if you want.”

“Goody.” She chirped. “Do you mind going to the store to get cake mix today? You know how to pick out the good tasting cake mix. I can go with you and we can go to lunch or something.”

“Sure, I don’t mind.” I mumbled absentmindedly. “But you don’t have to go with me, it’s fine.”

“You’re the best!” Holly cooed. “But you shouldn’t go by yourself, that’s boring. I’ll have Jackson go with you.”

“What? Why?” I yelped.

“Because he knows where the store is, silly.” Holly chuckled. “Do you have something against my brother now?”