“ Riley. I’m temporarily traveling with him.” 

Yune smiled. “ It’s better not to be alone on a journey as big as this one.”

They talked for a little while longer, except Tomas stayed silent, and then all headed to the Pokemon Center. Their stomachs were growling so loudly that Nurse Joy thought a rogue Boufallant had been set loose. They ate and Yune looked down at Riley’s Pokemon.

“ After this would you like to have a battle?” Riley had noticed Yune’s speech was very polite and proper.

“ Of course!” She replied enthusiastically. Luckily, Tomas had battled her a couple of times that morning. Oshawott had done fantastically, but Electrike had almost gotten burnt, slashed or whipped because of his carelessness and extreme relaxed nature. They headed to the chalk-drawn stadium in the back after lunch was over.

“ Would you like to go two on two?” Riley nodded. They sent out their first Pokemon, Oshawott and Mincinno. The coin was flipped and Yune got first move.

“ Mincinno, use Thunderbolt!” Crackling electricity arced through the air and headed straight towards Oshawott. Riley could see it was extremely powerful. She bet one hit from that electricity and a water type like Oshawott would be knocked out.

“ Now! Use Quick Attack to dodge it and then get behind Mincinno.” Oshawott executed the order perfectly.

“ Tail Slap, please!” Mincinno spun around, slapping Oshawott in the face and seemed to do an extremely well-performed pirouette. Oshawott flew back and hit the ground hard, but recovered quickly. Her expression seemed to say is that all you got. Mincinno went in for another Tail Slap, but Riley called out another request. As Mincinno brought her tail down Oshawott pulled out her scalchop and slashed away. Oshawott’s Razor Shell attack threw Mincinno off balance and Oshawott got in another slice.

“ Use Thunderbolt! You know how, thank you!” Mincinno fired the lightning up, but Oshawott had already gotten out of the way. The lightning arched in midair and began heading straight down. Surprisingly, Yune’s only words were, “ You can take it,” not “ Get out of the way!” The lightning hit Mincinno and Riley was fairly sure she had been knocked out, but Mincinno rose from the ashes. Her tail was filled with electricity.

Riley’s jaw nearly hit the ground. The tail was conducting electricity. 

“ I have a couple tricks up my sleeve too.” Yune replied gently. “ Now, Mincinno use Tail Slap on Oshawott.” Riley barely had time to think, but as Mincinno jumped high in the air and began to plummet down with her electric tail an idea popped into Riley’s head.

“ Oshawott, use Water Gun diagonally at the ground!” Mincinno continued plummeting and Oshawott quickly caught on and did as told. Oshawott flew back leaving a gigantic puddle in her wake, just in time. Mincinno plunged down and smashed to the ground with fierce electricity, not realizing what she had done until it was too late. She had landed in the puddle and now the water was conducting the electricity and sizzling through Mincinno. Sparks jumped off the water and Oshawott backed away, fearing the flares of lightning. Mincinno collapsed.

“ Mincinno is unable to battle. Yune, send out your second Pokemon,” called Tomas from the sideline. As a referee, he had been silent until now. Yune half-smiled. She opened her Pokeball and Mincinno flashed away.

“ You did great work, Mincinno. Don’t worry we will do even better next time!” Yune turned to Riley. “ I’m impressed. You struck me as a beginner the first time we met, but now I’m not so sure. How long have you and you’re Pokemon been training?”

“ A couple of days.” Riley answered honestly. Yune looked baffled, but said nothing else. She sent out her next Pokemon and Riley cringed. It was a Deerling. Yune had a huge type advantage over her. The Pokemon looked shy, but Riley was sure that was just a charade. The pink coat it wore made it look dainty, another charade. The battle recommenced.