Run

Adam's POV:

I wake up in the cage again, pretty much everywhere on my back stinging. I'm not wearing a shirt, and the cold metal against my bare chest is unwelcome. I groan as I lift myself up. Twisting around so that I can see my back, I'm repulsed by what I find. The skin is all torn up, and dry blood is caked everywhere. That's gonna leave unpleasant scars.

"Finally," I jump as I hear Logan's voice. How long has he been in here? "I was beginning to worry you were dead, that your fragile bones couldn't take a little pain."

I scoff, unable to come up with a better reply. I take pain pretty well, seeing as within the last three or four days, I've wounded my hand, got in a car wreck, and been whipped.

"My boss says that other than whipping, I can do whatever I want, so I thought about it, and how about a tattoo?" He shrugs, "not as bad as whipping, but it'll be permanent. I noticed you've already got some, lets add to your collection." He pulls out a tattoo gun from seemingly nowhere, and I shiver, I don't want to be branded like an animal.

"Where would you like it?" His eyebrows spring up as he waits for an answer.

"No-nowhere," I cough.

"No," he sighs, "that's not an option. How about your hip?"

"What?"

"Imma tattoo your hip, with whatever I want." He stands up, and heads towards me. He unhooks the chains, then leads me to a metal table that I hadn't seen earlier. He straps me in, but it's gotten to the point where I really don't care anymore. I close my eyes, trying to ignore the pain as the needle strikes my skin.

"You could, just, you know, tell us where you got wings, and you wouldn't have to go though this."

My eyes flash open, and I reply through clenched teeth, "no."

"Very well, suit yourself."

I close my eyes again and force myself to relax as he works. I lose track of time, but then again, I wasn't counting. After a while, he stops, then has me sit up. I look down at the left side of my hip, right above the bone. A little circuit pattern, not what I expected. It was in the shape of the Milky Way, and honestly, it looks pretty cool. It would never have been my first choice, but it was pretty good.

"Don't ask why," Logan says, "it was my choice, and just like you, I'm not ready to spill my story." He takes me back to the cage, but he seems to forget to hook the chain up again before he leaves. Strange.

I wrap the chain around my arm, so that it doesn't drag behind me, then try the cage door. Unlocked. I step out, then try the door to the room. Also unlocked. This couldn't have been an accident. Did Logan want me to get out? Outside the door is a long white hall, with other doors littering the walls along the way. But this is my chance.

I make a mad dash, traveling much faster than I expected. I forgot just how fast I could run now. I let out a relieved laugh as I run. I pass several guards, and they try to chase after me, but they can't keep up. I make random turns, I have no clue where I'm going, but I know I'll get out eventually.

The lights switch from white to red as the alarms go off. The doors to outside will lock soon, in fact they're probably locked already. It feels like about five minutes until I actually reach one of these doors, and yes, it is locked. I think back desperately to the time I kicked the door down to Victoria's interview, and I kick this door.

A steady stream of foul words spew from my lips as I clutch my foot. Damn, that hurt. I try again, to no avail. What do I do? I ask myself. I try to open it as if it weren't locked, pushing down on the bar that acts as a doorknob. I hear creaking as I push longer and harder.

"There he is!" The sound of footsteps speed up, and so does my heartbeat. I don't have time for this! I press harder, and then a snap fills the air as I fall forwards. I did it! The door was now off the hinges and flat on the ground.

Naturally, there's nowhere to run. A small overhang of ground is before me, then it drops off about twenty feet, and nothing but the ocean is beneath it. Who puts a door right by a cliff? What the hell. But I don't have a choice, they're too close. I can't go back in the room. So I jump. And I fall.

**A/N: Sorry about another cliff hanger, and sorry it took so long to publish. I've been really busy, and haven't had much time to write. I'm also sorry if the chapter moves to fast, I was having trouble progressing (if that makes sense?). Anyways, I hope you enjoyed! A chase scene is always fun ^~^ Thank you so much for reading (I mean it!), please vote/comment/etc. and let me know your thoughts. I know we still don't know who "the boss" is, but you will, don't worry!**