Chapter 7

Phantomhive Manor... How do I even begin to describe its staff's flaws? The butler was a fairly suspicious character, testing me every chance he got. The chef kept complimenting me so many times that I left the room feeling uncomfortable and embarrassed. The maid was clumsy. The gardener was naive. The security was a man who could transform into a dog. Need I say more?

I'm not saying they weren't nice, because they were, for the most part. I figured we would become friends in the short amount of time I would be there. I wasn't sure if that was a good thing, though. I wasn't supposed to have ties to people unless they were ones filled with hate. Love was forbidden to someone like me. I never wished to experience it, and I was content with the little feelings I had. It made things easier.

During the little time I had when I had nothing to do and the others weren't screwing things up, I went searching for a phone to use. I knew there would be one in Ciel's office, but I didn't dare go in there. Having only one phone seemed preposterous, though. There had to be one somewhere else in the mansion.

I was walking down the hall, looking for another door to open. It was becoming ridiculous. Everything about the mission was ridiculous! Besides the butler, no one was a threat to me. I was wasting my time there.

There were no doors in the hall I was walking down. The wall on my left was mostly decorated with large windows, while the wall on my right had decor propped against them. I would have to look somewhere else. Are they keeping the phone somewhere hidden? Why would they bother? I asked myself.

I looked up from the floor and saw Ciel walking towards me, but Sebastian was not there with him. I remembered that Sebastian was in the kitchen making Ciel's tea and snack. When we were close enough, I stopped and bowed, "Good afternoon, my lord." I straightened up.

"How are you feeling, Willow?" Ciel asked. I was slightly surprised. I figured he would keep walking. Though his voice expressed slight concern, his face was still as emotionless as it had been since I had arrived at the Manor.

I was beginning to wonder about him. He was awfully young to be an earl. What happened to his parents? Why did he express so little emotion? What was he doing that made Martin want him gone? I did slightly worry about him, but I suppose he was doing fine with the life he had.

"Well enough to work, thank you for asking," I smiled.

"And you've been making your way around the mansion easily?" he wondered.

My smile turned sheepish, "I wouldn't say that. This place reminds me much of a maze with many dead ends. Sebastian's tour helped me a lot, though, so I manage fine."

He nodded once, "Good. Do remember that I am not forcing you to stay and work here. If you ever want to leave, you may."

"I appreciate the offer, my lord, but I'm much happier here. I would go as far to say that this is a blessing," I lied.

"Still, it is ongoing. Do not hesitate," he told me.

"Of course, my lord," I said. I bowed as he was beginning to walk away.

Out of the corner of my eye, something outside moved. I could see it through the window. I turned my head and it was a man with a gun. "Get down!" I shouted, and then tackled Ciel to the floor. I covered my body with his.

"What are you-" he began, but then the man fired. The glass came pouring down on my back. I heard him fire five more times before he was out of ammunition. I waited for a second, listening to the silence. I did not expect him to shoot again.

I stood up quickly and carefully. Retrieving the gun from my pocket, I ran over the window. The man, dressed all in black, was running away. He was trying to escape. I pointed the gun and aimed right at his head. I pulled the trigger and it hit the target. He fell to the ground on his stomach.

"My lord, are you alright?" I asked, turning around.

Ciel sat up and answered, "I'm fine."

I requested, "Please, do not stand yet. There may be more. I will be back quickly." I bowed and took off running towards the stairs, not wanting someone else to take their chance while I could not protect him.

Bolting through the back glass doors to the garden area, I spotted the assassin laying on the ground, blood pooling around him. I turned him carefully on his back, making sure not to get myself dirty. I gasped when I saw his face. It was Ray, the guard from Martin's mansion who I hated so much.

No others would have been sent, but this could mean a multitude of things. Martin thought I was dead, he was trying to see if I was still alive, or he was trying to kill me along with Sebastian and Ciel. Anger washed over me. Didn't he know the risks he was taking?!

I looked up to the window. Ciel was standing, against my orders, and Sebastian had arrived. It looked like he was asking Ciel questions about what had happened, but I couldn't read his lips. Ciel turned his head and looked at me. He nodded once, like he was saying thank you, before turning back to Sebastian to answer a question.

I sighed as I looked at the body. Martin was obviously beginning to become impatient. He should have planned this out more if he wanted me to kill them sooner. It was his entire fault.