twenty one couples & singles

After he officially leaves, I throw on some shorts and a loose tee. I showered in the middle of the night so I think I'm good for now. I check my armpits just in case but pass the test anyway.

My phones buzzes as I pop a peice of bubblegum into my mouth. It catches me off guard because I don't know anyone who would text me right now.

Once I pick it up, I realize it isn't my phone. It's Cameron's. I let put an exasperated such. How does he keep forgetting it in here?

Now listen, I know that people deserve their privacy but I'm a naturally curious person. And I really want to know who that text was from.

I silently debate myself before inevitably giving in and reading the message.

*veronica: i'm downstairs cammy. hurry up.*

Cammy? Gag.

My eyes stay glued to my feet, stumbling down the stairs, until I hear someone sing my name.

The voice came from Kian, who sits up and waves at me. I wave back and glance around.

Everyone seems to have stopped their conversations to look at me. I freeze awkwardly until they return their attention to each other.

Nash and Matt are kneeling on the ground, arm wrestling over the coffee table.

Jack sits on the sofa with a petite girl with exotic eyes sitting on his lap.

Cameron and Veronica are talking, seated awfully close. Her fingers are trailing up and down his arms.

I realize I have a disgusted look on my face and promptly fix it.

"Hey, Cameron." I pull his phone from my pocket.

Him and Veronica simultaneously look up at me.

"You forgot your phone in my room again." I toss it to him rather harshly. Maybe if we're lucky it will hit Veronica in the face.

No such luck. He swiftly catches it with one hand and smirks. "You weren't snooping around on it again, were you."

I dramatically roll my eyes and join Kian on the couch.

My eyes glance over at them one more time. Veronica looks pissed. She's probably wondering why Cameron was in my room at all.

"Hey there." The corners of his lips pull up into a grin.

I smile and trace my eyes over his sleeve of tattoos. "Did that hurt?"

He holds his arm up and speculates it, shrugging. "Yeah, kind of."

I grab his arm like it were an object, and set it on my lap, studying it. "Looks like it would hurt."

"Well I got them all done at different times. Don't think I would be able to do it all at once." He chuckles and sips his drink with his free hand. "You ever thought of getting a tattoo?"

I shrug. "I mean, I think everyone wants one at some point in their life. I'm just afraid that I'll get one and change my mind about it."

He laughs a little. "I've definitely thought about that. But, surprisingly, it never stopped me."

"Well you're gonna be one cool lookin' grandpa." I giggle.

"Hey yall." Matt and Nash sit down next to us.

"Look at us." Nash laughs. "We could start a singles club. We're the only single ones left."

I glance over to Cameron and Veronica. "Well they're not dating." My voice gets defensive.

"Who? Cam and Veronica?" Kian makes a face. "I don't know. They're a bit... touchy. Don't ya think?"

I feel my stomach churning.

"What would their ship name be?" Matt looks up at the ceiling, concentrating. "Cameronica?"

I force a laugh and stand up. I need some water or something.

There's no way that they're dating. No way.

And people say that girls are confusing. Yeah, okay.

After I grab a bag of potato chips and pour myself some lemonade, I head upstairs to my room.

That's enough human interaction for today.

I flick my tv on to some reruns of a show that I've never heard of. Doesn't matter, it's just background noise.

Hysterical laughter trails upstairs and under my door. My god, they're loud.

I switch the tv off and plug my phone into the speakers, turning on pandora. I blast it and drown their voices out.

In the meantime, I stand to my feet and start tidying up my room.

I know that the maid, Constance would do it but I hate having someone clean up after a mess that I've made. It seems dehumanizing.

Once every single inch of my room is spotless, I lay back down on my bed and flick through the poetry book.

I've read every single word in this thing, but I have literally nothing else to do.

I try to focus but shortly realize I can't with the music and laughter in the background.

I grunt and toss the book off to the side.

My eyes study the same ceiling they've studied thousands of times. Starch white. Bumpy texture. Not much to look at.

I glance out the windows and see that the sun is already faded away. How long have I been up here?

A soft knock on my door wakes me from my thoughts.

"Come in." I barely mumble, not bothering to sit up.

"Hi. You're Cameron's friend, Addy, right?" An extremely girly voice questions.

I prop myself up on my elbows and see the girl with the exotic eyes who was sitting on Jacks lap earlier.

"Yeah, and you are..." I trail off, allowing her to finish my sentence.

"Madison." Her face perks up. "Jacks girlfriend."

"Oh." I slowly nod. "Nice to meet you."

I trail her with my eyes as she helps herself into my room, perching on the very edge of my bed.

I raise my eyebrows at her, silently asking what she needs.

"Well tonight, we're all going to a party and you should come."

I squint my eyes at her. Why is she inviting me?

"I mean, I kinda feel bad. You seem so lonely up here." She cocks her head at me causing her dark hair to spill over one shoulder.

I decide to give her a chance she seems pretty sweet. And she's right. I do need to get out. And I should stop waiting on Cameron to invite me. "Sure." I sit all the way up and comb my fingers through my hair. "I'll get ready."

***
A/N: sorry for the long wait & the shitty chapter.
don't worry though bc i have big plans for this book :-)
I've had thee worst week of my life but tomorrow I'm going to bumbershoot to see The Weeknd !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE WEEKND
if that doesnt fix my entire life idk what will
-h.m.