fourteen lost cause

"You both look splendid." Gina hugs Cameron but he stands still with his arms at his sides. "Cameron, darling, would you go fetch some wine from the cellar?"

Of course they have a wine cellar.

"And Addy, come give me a hand with this salad."

He reluctantly leaves the room and I begin opening the dressing bottle.

"So." She pops a cherry tomato into her mouth. "What do you think of my little Cameron?"

"He's very... handsome." My cheeks flush and Gina giggles. "He's a bit abrasive but... I don't know maybe I just need to get to know him better."

Doubt it.

"Yes. He is a bit tough. He'll get over himself sooner or later. You just have to search through his tough guy facade."

I laugh and stare down at my hands, intensely. Gina begins pouring the dressing over the lettuce and mixing it around with a big wooden spoon.
Behind her, the maid bustles around, checking what's in the oven and wiping countertops.

I try to remember her name.

Constance.

"So." I ease myself down into a stool. "I know I'm not allowed to, but..." I trail off and Gina narrows her eyes at me. "I was just wondering if I could maybe call-"

"Under no circumstances-"

"I just need to check on Hadlee. She's my little sister." I interrupt her.

She folds her arms and glares at me.
"I said under no circumstances. You are here with us now, Addy. I do believe that we are spoiling you. How could you ever want to get back in touch with your old life?"

I'm tempted to scream at her. She can't be serious. She expects me to forget about the one person I truly love in this world. "I can't just forget about my sister, Mrs. Dallas." I meet her stone cold eyes. "Just one call."

"Absolutely not. Simon informed us that you make no contact with the outside world. I do intend to follow through with his instructions."

Cameron enters the room with a basket full of wine bottles.

"And you will not ask again. Do you understand me, Ms. Clarence." A vein pops from her neck. If looks could kill...

"Yes." I return my gaze to the floor.

"Yes what?"

"Ma'am. Yes ma'am."

Cameron sets the basket down with a thud and furrows his eyebrows.

"Excellent. Now go reflect on your childish behavior before the guests arrive." She returns her attention to the salad. "You will not act up like this in front of them."

I focus on my feet as I scurry upstairs, desperate to not catch Cameron's eye contact.

I sit on my bed, an unsettling feeling ground in my stomach. Downstairs I hear Cameron and his mom shouting at each other. I can't imagine him defending me.

I feel like I'm so alone here. I want to call someone. I would call the cops, but I'm afraid of what Simon might do to my family.

I want to cry. But I don't.

A knock on my door wakes me from my thoughts.

"Guests are here. Let's go." Cameron loops his arm through mine and leads me downstairs.

I silently thank him for not showing pity. That's the last thing I need.

"Here goes nothing." I say through a faked smile.

An elderly women approaches us. She is dressed in a huge fur coat and a purple dress. Her hair is severely curled and piled on top of her head.

"Grandma Shirley." Cameron beams. He looks so genuinely happy and it freaks me out. "This is my girlfriend Addy."

I go to shake her bony hand, but she pulls me into a hug instead. Her fur coat gets in my mouth and I cough a little.

"So nice to meet you." She croaks.

"The pleasure is mine."

After meeting several other relatives and friends, they all start mingling.

"The hard part is over. Now you just have to act sophisticated during dinner." He tugs me towards the back door and my face is blasted with cool air. No one else is out here. We sit down in the lawn chairs. He pulls a small bottle from his pocket and starts methodically unscrewing the top. A bottle of whiskey. He takes a long sip.

"Are you kidding?" I snatch it from his grip. "No. You're at a classy house party."

"Exactly." He grabs it back. "All these fake people exhaust me. Just let me-" He drinks some more, cringing. "Let me drink this."

"Absolutely not. Why do I have to deal with this?" I mutter to myself and grab the bottle from him, throwing it off into the bushes. "There."

"Hey! What the fuck." He throws his arms up.

"You're a child." My eyes roll to the back of my head.

Why are they trying to convince people he makes good decisions, including picking someone as a girlfriend.

Clearly, he's a lost cause.

"They're right back here." Gina's voice appears in the backdoor, followed by Nash and Matt.

"Thanks mama G." Nash grins.

Mama G. I smile.

"Why." Cameron frowns. "Just why."

"Hey dude." Matt punches Cameron's shoulder and winks at me. My face goes hot and I quickly glance to the ground.
Nash and Matt both wear suits and they look really good.

"I thought I uninvited you."

"Well your mom insisted that I come."
Matt shrugs. "I don't know. I guess she likes me." He sits down next to Cameron.

I try to avoid both of them and go over to sit next to Nash. The mid day sun heats up my exposed skin and I wish that I was at the beach right now.

With my sister.

But here I am.

With hundreds of people I don't know.

The elegant piano music floats all the way outside and I grow somewhat peaceful. The sun bounces off the pool water and straight into my eyes.
I squeeze them shut and zone out, focusing on the distant hum of music.
The boys all mumble to each other, but not loud enough for me to hear.

The next thing I know, Gina's head peeks through the door again. "Sorry guys. You're probably just getting settled in, but dinner is ready."

I rush inside, not bothering to wait for Cameron, even though I probably should. My nose is filled with several different smells of spices, that I would never be able to name.

Before I get to the source of the smell, a light grip is placed on my arm.

"Ms. Clarence. A word?"

❁❁❁

A/N: hey hi hello. if you're not already following me on here, you should.
p.s. if you comment a lot throughout the chapters, I automatically love you ok bye.
p.p.s. i wanna write another book so gimme ideas.
PLEASE
p.p.p.s. DID YOU GUYS SEE ALL THAT MAGGIE AND CARTER SHIT OH MY LANTA
get to work yall
-H.M.