"I'm fine," I said eagerly. "You can take me."

"No," she said. "I will not have you getting the prince ill. You can sit out on the little balcony and see the sights from there and sketch them. Tomorrow, we'll spend the day in the castle, as well as most of the rest of our trip. Good day." And she left me alone.

I looked out on the city of Twein, once on the balcony. Unfortunately, it was facing east, and I had no view of the famous beaches. I could see Castle Twein, however, which was on a hill a league or so away. It was known for it's large stained-glass windows that depicted legendary creatures--mermaids, elves, fairies, and so on.

I drew the castle as best I could. I then drew Prince Artair, using the details Girec had told me. Hair light brown, almost blond, that hung in waves to his ear, with thin sideburns and jagged pieces near his face, as if he'd cut it with his own knife. I imagined him ruggedly handsome. Girec said he had striking gray eyes and an upturned nose.

"You can tell he's a natural leader," Girec had said. "His nose is hawklike and sharp, his chin is a little long, but severe, as if all the lines in his face were carved. And yet, with all his majesty, he is charismatic, and someone you can be comfortable around. He's going to be a marvelous king someday." It had taken hundreds of artistic questions to get that much out of him. I couldn't wait to meet him in real life, not just my imagination.

I turned back a couple pages to a picture I'd drawn when I was sick. It was of a man with a gray beard and deep wrinkles. He had wooden cane he leaned heavily on, yet his posture was exceptional. His eyes didn't seem to fit such an old man's face. They were large, wild, and full of ominous . . . knowing. Their shade of green was unlike anything I'd every seen. How I'd managed to draw that without seeing the man was beyond me. Yet looking at it gave me an odd sense of déjà vu.

I broke my glance from the picture and looked back at the castle. I fell asleep with fantasies of Prince Artair courting me.

The next day, I wore my best gown. It was turquoise with a pleated skirt. It had a slightly darker shade of turquoise embroidering on the bodice, and it's sleeves were long and elegant. Headmistress pinned my hair up. I hoped it made me look older.

"Do not call me 'Headmistress,'" she instructed. "Call me Lady Idena among the royals."

"Very well, Headmistress," I said with a mischievous smile. She shook her head, muttering something about there being no hope for me.

"Be on your most ladylike behavior, Evelin," she said sternly.

I nodded. "I will." She looked skeptical.

We took a carriage to the castle. It seemed very big up close. I looked up, up, up, in awe. We went inside. My father's manor was grand, but it didn't compare to the castle. The ceilings were extremely high, with golden trim everywhere. Crystal chandeliers shone rainbow light on the walls. The stained-glass windows cast a multi-colored glow into the rooms. I'd heard Castle Twein be called Castle Rainbow before. I knew why now. It was the winter home for the royals. I was surprised they were here in the summer.

"Close your mouth, Evelin," Headmistress instructed. "You look like a fool."

I closed it and swallowed nervously. The banquet would start in a few hours.

"Follow me, madams," a nearby maid said. "I'll show you to your rooms." Our rooms were up a few grand staircases. They were connected by a joining door, and were just as grand as the rest of the castle. I laid down on the bed and sighed at the softness. At that moment, Headmistress entered.

"Get off that bed," she said, "or I'll have to re-do your hair."

I got off obediently. "How much longer till the banquet?"