Chapter 1

"No! Mom! Stop it! Let go! Leave me alone! Stop, no!!" I keep shouting, but I don't think anyone can here me. "Please! someone help!" I scream at the top of my lungs. No answer. My mother continues to hit me. "Mom! Why?!" I shout even louder. How can nobody here me? There's a family next door, and the walls are as thin as a feather on a bird.

"You've done bad child! You must be punished!" my mother grins. I shake my head constantly, and I finally wake up to my little sister.

"Sissy, what's wrong? Why are you shouting? You were just dreaming." she whispers. Only it wasn't a dream. It was a nightmare.

My mother really does beat me. Not just me, but my little sister, Ruby, as well.

I, Sparkle Johnson, live with my 7 year old sister, Ruby, and our abusive mother, in District 1 of Panem. Tomorrow is the day of the reaping and I, unfortunately, do not have a dress to cover up my bruises. I don't want to go to the games. Even though I am from District 1, a career district, I don't wanna fight anyone. I need to stay here with my sister, to make sure my mother doesn't beat her to death.

I train for 2 hours a day at the academy we go to, to prepare for the games. That's not really a good thing. We're supposed to train 5 hours a day, but since my mother is abusive and she doesn't feed us exactly what we need, I don't get to train as much as the others. The trainers just think it's some kind of genetic, that makes me so 'skinny'. I am not skinny, I'm a skeleton and that's no exaggeration. My ribs show, it's obvious. Same with my sister too. Everyone at school looks at us weird, then they 'realize its a genetic thing.'

My mom tells me and Ruby not to tell anyone about what she does to us, or else she'll kill whoever we tell, and ourselves. I think I play it off pretty good at school. Except for the bruises, I tell people that I fell or something. Although, I hate lying. It makes me feel like I have something too hide and I don't.