Chapter 13 - He Said Pumpkin Eater

"Okay this is it boys." Coach beckons us to leave our horses for a short moment, "The first game of your last year here."

"Finally." Oliver jokes, untangling his leather gloves.

The first game is on school grounds. This is perfect; my team knows this field well from all the bumps, the imperfect and uneven grass. We should have a head start on our game plan as we got here quite early as well. This is all in preparation for the perfect party; to commemorate our first win, my belated birthday that had passed and Dad's promise to me for a stable future.

This needs to go well, I don't know how many times I've said that to myself but its as if I've picked up a new mantra. This needs to go well. This needs to be perfect. This needs to be this. This needs to be that. This needs to be everything. All of this planning and providing has lead up to one moment where I can choose to let it all fall apart or I can see it rise above my expectations. This is wishful thinking but in a few short minutes, we'll be the ones to hit the first plastic ball.

"I know I always say this but I need to say it again for good luck." Coach puts on his best poker face.

Eddy puts on a knowing face and mouths Coach's words after him. A few words of encouragement is what gets my team up and going.

"This is a test between the balance of finesse and strength. The likelihood of us losing is not high, but I believe in you boys just as much as the seniors who were here before you and the seniors before them. These spectators are here for you, they are here to ravel in the glorious ability you have."

His mention of spectators, gave me the most beautiful reminder of the day. A woman that only seems to amaze me each and every time I have a conversation with her, no matter how short the conversation is and no matter how hostile she can be. Kenna Douglas. Even a simple thought of her makes me want to drop my gear and run across the field and look for her in the crowd, but knowing Coach he'd get offended that I walked out on his second of vision.

Where is she? My eyes do my deed for me. In a field of lime-cut grass the mass of spectators wearing vanilla white attire makes it seem like they're trying to make an impression amongst their peers and its pretentious. Maybe it's just me but is cocky to come dressed in white when you know that what's about to go down will get messy and a part of me feels apologetic for the people sitting in the front row.

"We play for fun and for the thrill of it but we also play to win." Coach concludes his speech, "This is the moment in your life where you sons of bitches make me proud for all that training I've put your through."

"There it is." Michael points out Coach's botch of profanity.

"We better beat this team." Oliver mutters after Coach leaves to greet his guest.

"I know its Raven Prep but there's no need to resort to violence." Eddy buttons up our team jersey, warning Oliver that if her doesn't check himself we'll get a penalty shot.

Oliver twists his leather bound fingers together, "The Captain of that fucking team tried to be a smartass and go out and about with my sister."

"That isn't cool." Michael calms Oliver.

"Okay guys, I need to leave and see if Dad's here but remember: communication, concentration and determination." It's a white lie, I know Dad's here but Kenna isn't.

I pat each of my co-players back and remind them what's on the line for each of us. We all have something planned one way or another, we come from principal families and we have to make an example out of ourselves otherwise Rave Prep will never let us live it down.