Chapter 8 - She Said Meddle

As my students dash out of our classroom, I'm left with twenty five chairs left pushed out of their tables. I don't blame these boys for wanting to leave as soon as possible but is it so hard to push your chair in? I can't always do it for them, I have essays to mark. Leaving my things in their place, I start at the first row at the front of the class. Calm down and breathe.

"You need help?" Luca's voice looms.

As much as I wanted to say no, I needed him to help me. Copious essays were left untouched in my office and I still needed to finish up recording all the library books. Maggie again, asked if I'm able to take her place for today.

"Yes please." I point over to the back row.

"Don't you tell your boys don't push it in themselves?"

"They're young and they have homework. They don't need someone nagging after them, telling them to push in their chairs." I dismiss very easily.

At this point in time, I appreciate our relationship not falling into the shits. Needless to say, it is awkward for me to walk in on him and Priscilla kissing every now and then but I really appreciate Luca being laidback with me. I didn't have the time to deal with a person who is so agitated and awkward every time they try and start a conversation with me. The repetitive routine continues as Luca and I meet halfway, pushing in the last two chairs in their rightful place.

"Where are you off to after this?" Luca follows me.

"I have some essays to mark but first-" I turn the corner, "-I need to help the library ladies."

"The library ladies?" Luca confusingly repeats, inviting himself into my office.

I grab my bag from under my desk, "Yeah, just stocktaking all of our books."

I merely nod, watching him, watching me pack my belongings into my oversized bag. The feelings I had for Luca are different now, but I can tell- no, I can feel his synergy. He wants to say something but he's holding back. I care for him deeply and I love him but it's not the same love he's feeling.

"Weren't you supposed to go home with Priscilla?" I assumed, nothing but pure hatred ran through my veins.

If I'm going down this road I might as well ask him about her. I know don't have the right place to ask him when he started dating her or how he met her. I just had to let him open up to me about her.

"She said she had a headache, so she went home first." Luca says as if he's used to her absence.

Zipping my bag tightly I begin to walk out of my office without looking back. I knew he would willingly follow without thinking about my impoliteness. But in fact, it isn't impoliteness; it was just that I was in a hurry. Crossing two of the courtyards, Luca offers to hold my bag as if we were reliving our past.

"Why don't you just make two trips down?" Luca corrects an error that he thinks I've made.

Looking at him with all the determination I could muster, "I'd rather die from starvation than make two trips down for our god damn groceries."

Rolling his eyes at me, "You're so cute at times. Here, let me help."

I climb the rest of the steps to our apartment as Luca refrains from changing his disapproving look. But he couldn't hold it for long, extending his arm; he reaches for the heavier backs and leads the both of us to our small kitchen.

"So what are we supposed to do now?" Luca grills, picking up a few books.

"Well, I'm going to do this alone." I tell him, taking the books off of him.