Chapter 11 - He Said Attractions

Holy fuck. I did it. My relentless heart is hammering ever so faintly and my sweat has gone cold. Honestly who would've though second kisses were better than anyone's ever anticipated? Letting go of her, I open the car door and patiently wait for a reaction that worth the ten seconds I've stolen from her.

"Kenna?" I egg on.

"Spencer, you are digging a very deep hole-"

"I don't care." I persist. I need her to see it my way. There's nothing wrong with this, why should there be?

"Will you stop that?" Kenna demands, taking the door from me and slamming it in its rightful place. "I care. I need this job."

Maybe I'm being selfish or maybe a little bit pretentious but nothing Kenna says will sway me. Not the way I feel about her. At the point in time, I don't know what I feel for her. Maybe its affection? Or appreciation? Even love but I won't know if she's going to continue to shoot me down every time I try to make a gentlemanly pass at her.

This is only the first step, kissing her unintentionally was not in my plan but it was perfect, despite the shitty weather and the situation we're both in. But how can I plan something as flawless and beautiful as that? It's like I'm in a whirlwind of Miss Douglas and I can't seem to find even ground because I'm just letting her overcome my primal senses.

"I understand that but-"

"Do you?" She challenges, crossing her disappointed arms at me.

"As a matter of fact, I do." I reciprocate, folding my arms at her.

"No you don't because if you did, you'd look away and put your focus on something else." She condescends, "Or someone your own age."

"It's not like there's a litter of kittens for me to choose from, okay?" What kind of analogy is that?

"But why? Why do you have to do this?"

It's almost as if everything I'm trying to say is bunched up into a ball of fucked-up-hot-mess and now I can't even begin to pick it apart because of how confusing it'll be. I've managed to tell Kenna I like her because it's the moment she trusted me with her name and her disability. I only see it as a turning point.

"Are you thinking about getting back together with Mr Scarpellino?" I touch a subject I know she doesn't want to deliberate.

"Spencer, leave before you say something you'll regret."

I have nothing but patience and time. And it isn't like me to just let go and obey but those soft words have an effect on me and I can't seem to pull myself away. Nodding away, I lose the thought of kissing her goodnight before walking back into the restaurant. Damn it! Did I just ruin my chance?

~xxXxx~

"If I get this in the bin, will you give me your mallet?" Oliver wagers while knowing just how much that mallet means to me.

"No." I decline with a fiery passion.

"Why not?" Oliver laughs, welcoming Michael and Eddy to gang up on me.

"Because fuck you and also you know that mallet has been signed by Nacho Figueras." I flip him off, turning away from a bet I can't resist.

There's a reason why I'm position three and Oliver's position four, there is absolutely no way he'd get that into the bin. But the stakes are high, that mallet has been with me even since Mom left. It's like a symbol of independence for me, that whatever was going to happen to Dad and I, I could pull through and hope for the best in the coming future.