Flashback

Carmelita was a sound sleeper.

That was one good thing for Sly. It helped him.

Especially on days like this.

Due to her night patrols, the lovely inspector slept in the day, just like the raccoon. However, unlike her, the raccoon never had a very peaceful sleep.

He'd always wake up, hand over his mouth to stifle his scream or gasps for breath. If it was bad, he'd walk out in the balcony till he calmed down or was able to just breathe.

At times he'd drop by at the hideout.

Afterall, it wasnt like anyone was around anyways. Sly thought to himself, as he entered the now-empty hideout, feeling miserable.

_________

BENTLEY

After defeating Dr. M, the Copper Gang couldn't find Sly, afterall, the master thief didn't want to be found at that time.

Why? Bentley would never have guessed it. But that didn't stop him from searching in secret. The last few days, Bentley had pent up feelings of jealousy and resentment towards the raccoon, who was his best friend and sort of like a brother.

After the entire incident, Bentley knew he had to speak to Sly, tell something, do something to make sure where he stands and how he feels about it all.

And so, full of determination, he kept looking.

However, after the first two months or so, Sly was caught.

He was in the hideout, doing his usual research, when he heard something sounding like a wheeze.

There was an intruder...and the sound seemed familiar, somehow. So of course he had a pretty good hunch on the identity of the intruder.

So, ever so quietly, he went to the main planning room, and found Sly.

Who looked like a mess. Just like how he'd found him the first night at the orphanage.

Slowly, Bentley managed to calm Sly down and coax him and get him to sleep.

Later that day, a huge hug was given to the turtle, one the turtle was actually glad to receive. He knew how Sly was with accepting help for that kind of ...incidents and was glad to know that Sly seemed happy enough to acknowledge it.

"So how'd you come here?" Both asked in unison.

And laughed.

"I come here...whenever. ...you know..."

"I used to stay with Penelope but recently I got homesick and decided to shift here. Penelope will be coming here to continue our top secret experiment...most probably in 3 days." Bentley spoke, realizing that Sly wasn't going to finish his statement.

Sly nodded in understanding but quickly did a double take as he got the message. "So-you and Penelope are-"

"Yup. It's official. Were a couple! She's the most amazing person I've ever met! Let me tell you, again- IM IN LOVE!"

Sly grinned as his buddy continued to speak about how they'd realized their feelings for each grew and how they moved in together and began certain experiments and project.

By the time he was done, Sly realized it was time for him to get back before Carmelita decided to put an APB on him.

Later on, a few days later, Sly came by again, and the two would speak about anything and everything. Bentley opened himself to Sly, who, shocked at first, later nodded in understanding and said he was glad that Bentley realized what the Cooper gang meant to him.

And told him, that he would always trust Bentley no matter what.

And Bentley, made a promise to himself that he would help Sly out no matter what, because if their roles were ever reversed, Sly would definitely do the same for him. 

And now, the fact that Sly wasn't here with them, made the turtle's chest pain. He would definitely find Sly, he swore, and he would help his friend get over his demons, just like Sly did for him...

-------

CARMELITA

She knew she was a deep sleeper. Afterall she always had a lack of sufficient sleep, so when she did sleep, she'd go off.

However, recently, she's been sleeping a lot more frequently because of a certain ringtail that kept making sure that she was in perfect health.

Said ringtail would share the bed with her...keeping it real warm and cosy for her.

But now that she got herself proper sleep, she seemed to be more aware of herself and her surroundings.

It wasnt long before she realized that the bed was no longer cosy and warm.

It wasnt until much later, she could sense someone move out quietly, so as to not disturb her.

And it wasn't until the 3rd month that she finally woke up and noticed her ex-thief get out of the bed and walk over to the balcony.

As the days went on, she noticed more...

Like the way he rarely slept, while forcing her to get more than enough of it.

The way he'd just walk over to the balcony and stand out, breathing in and out, slowly and carefully.

The way he'd get out of the bed, trying not to wake her up...hoping that unlike him atleast she'd get some sleep.

The way he'd vanish at times but appear happier and much refreshed later on that day.

But she never said a word.

Because soon, she could hear him as well.

"No...wait! No!" It was so soft, she could make out that his hand was clamped over his mouth.

He'd sit up, wide awake, his heart beating frantically. She couldn't help but notice that look of complete and utter vulnerability he would have over his features.

The way his breath would come up in short rasps and he'd cover his mouth.

Some days she just felt like reaching out to him and telling him it's ok, try to help him get some rest, but she couldn't. She wouldn't.

Not when he couldn't exactly remember his past.

Not when his subconscious seems to know it all.

She couldn't afford to loose him. He was finally with her. He was hers...her Constable Cooper.

Amd she wasn't going to sit up and explain to him about his nightmare and how she had lied to him about everything before his amnesia.

She was scared that it'd change every thing. And so she just watched...hoping that someday he'd forget whatever those nightmares were and be able to sleep peacefully.

And now in the present, she knew what she'd do about it. Now that she knew of the truth, knew that he never had forgotten anything, he was hidding, pretending, but for what exactly?

That, she decided, is something she'll have to ask him, herself.