Bentley

It's been a year since amyone last saw Sly.

Murray is still doing what Murray does best- Wrestle and Drive. He got an upgrade for the good old Cooper van. "The Murray believes that we'll need it when Sly makes his return." He said.

Funny, how someone like Murray could say something like that with such an innocent smile, while he was struggling to keep his face up.

Yes Sly's disappearance hit him like a ton of bricks. He felt a whole lot affected since he was the closest person to Sly. They were pretty much like brothers.

He was not saying Murray wasn't any less. He was...more like the brawn. He was the brawns in our operations and was always the cheerful one.

Well, was....He wasn't quite cheery after the Clock-la incident, feeling remorse and guilty about him being in a wheelchair.

But Sly somehow got around to him. He wouldn't carry out his major heists unless the two of them were involved. It wasnt like he needed them. Bentley knew Sly did do certain heists on his own, and the two did speak about it.

"Come on Bentley! We are a team! I either go solo...Or both of you will have to work along."

Bentley chuckled to himself. He remembered it all too well. He wasn't sure Murray was up for their heist when he first joined. Sly was stubborn as ever. If Murray were to be injured Bentley would be there to save the day. And vice versa, if Sly couldn't make it.

Funny how that worked out during that pitiful incident. He shuddered as he recalled the feeling of his aching body. He remembered how he couldn't feel his legs and how Sly was on the other side, helplessly watching his best friend, his brother get trapped in that mechanical piece of horror. He remembered seeing Murray, the pink guy picking him up with ease and going....with Sly getting arrested.

That was the end, he thought. But no, Murray, after adjusting everything for Bentley asked him softly if he could do something to help Sly.

That incident, followed by Murray departure from the team, made Bentley realize what Sly meant those years ago.

Sly said he  wanted someone to stick around for the other. He knew the risks and wanted them to be there. But what the reality was this, they were a family. They were brothers, and brothers stick together till the end.

Despite being the brains, he couldn't see it but Sly knew Murray may be slow at understanding but he aware that Murray could be just as sensible when it matters. From then on, he started to take the strong hippo more seriously and truly considered him as a brother as well.

Funny, how even Murray stopped treating him like a weak intellectual turtle and gave him more space since then. Guess both had learnt a lot about the other and really he'd the same understanding: both were capable on their own.

Bentley sighed. He realized long ago that he wasn't alone. Sly's loss affected them all, especially a certain 'Detective'.

Whenever anyone mentioned Sly...He couldnt help but reminisce. But as he'd go on...he'd think less of Sly and more about the others. As of right now, Murray.

But why? Wasn't Sly the closest he ever had to a brother, apart from Murray? Wasn't Sly, the one who always made the gang smile? Wasn't he the key in holding them all together?

So why wasn't anyone saying anything about him now?

And where was he?

"Bentley, have you thought about it?"

"About what Sly?"

"About...about how the world would be, if you weren't there? Like, would everyone be together? Would they be alright? Would they have been happier, safer? You know, all those what ifs and would haves."

A frown at the thought. "Yes. But i chose this life. And I prefer this."

Silence. Finally, a soft voice spoke, "Are you sure? From what I'd seen, you've suffered a lot...because of Clockwerk, Clock-la, Penelope.....me."

Bentley just stared at the thoughtful raccoon. He spoke so softly, so calmly.

"I saw...you know. I had kept watch the year I was away. I may have been faking amnesia, but we both knew the truth. I saw you, with her. You were soo happy.

And I ruined it. Even Murray, he is able to get tons of various jobs. And I'm just holding him back."

"Guys? I think we ought to get going now!" A females voice called out.

Sly chuckled and muttered something about having caused the Fox enough trouble and that he ought to fix that when this is over and done with.

"Once this is done, we'd have to last a lifetime. We can just...retire Or something. Everyone deserves a long break.

Or I can just go out on my own. I doubt anyone will bother about me, since you know me -I'll manage, though your lives would change quite a lot. Become less hectic and more, calmer."

Bentley remained silent, Sly was mumbling all this hiself, forgetting that the turtle was right next to him. He decided he'd speak about that later...after the Paradox problem is cleared up.

Sadly...Sly Never came back to continue.

Bentley sighed sadly, the last time they really spoke was several months after Murray had the gang after the Clock-la incident. Since the entire cooper vault heists, Bentley had a lot going on...it wasnt until Sly went missing the second time, after Paradox, that Bentleey was finally on his own, and was able to sort it all out.

And realize that he really needed to discus and confess certain things to his best pal.

The first time Sly went missing, Bentley was having serious issues. He felt used, as though he were a second in command to Sly and was jealous of him. But Murray got him thinking rationally, somehow...and when he saw what Sly left behind for them, he knew how wrong he was.

Sly never exactly wanted to be termed as a leader. He knew what his expertise was and was grateful for his friends help and knew none of that would have been possibly had it not been for them.

But Bentley never spoke of it to anyone after that incident, until he stumbled by Sly later on...

He realized then that just like him, even Sly had issues but Sly, stubborn as he was, never shared any of it. Bentley wished he could do something about it, and did plan on doing just that after the entire 'Saving Sly's Ancestors' and their Canes' and 'Restoring the Cooper Honour', but Sly wasnt around anymore! And Bentley couldnt do a thing about it. Interpol is having the time of their lives because they assumed Sly's dead! But Bentley believed otherwise.

He would glance at the pages of the Thievius Raccoonus, praying, hoping against all odds for a sign.

Just a tiny message like the words Lizard, this is Pecking Duck written on the mummy he was currently researching on.