Lauren continued to guide me, leading us to the open bar where she ordered a rum and coke. I settled for a beer. She finally released my arm and waved to a group of her friends before heading over to them, allowing me to slip away into the shadows. I watched as she turned to smile at me before turning her attention back to the table. She knew I didn't care much for crowds.

There were sixty or more people there mingling and having a good time. I stuck to the perimeter of the party attempting to avoid most of the guests. I had come to a stop near the dance area when a tall blond guy came over to me. He looked like he had spent an excessive about of time in the gym, and even more time in a tanning salon.

He walked over with two beers in hand and a grin on his face. "Hey beautiful, are you a friend of the birthday girl?" he asked.

"Friend of a friend" I replied with a short answer, hoping he would get the hint I wasn't interested. I continued to look out towards the people moving on the dance floor.

"I'm Brad; I saw you standing here alone and thought I'd bring you a refill." He held out a beer to me.

"Thanks, but I'm good." I showed him my drink. "Excuse me, I need to go find someone," I said as I started to turn away.

I felt a hand grip my elbow. "What's your deal, I was just trying to be polite," he said, roughly turning me towards him. I looked at his hand gripping my arm and tilted my head to the side slightly. I arched my brow in question feeling my anger rise.

He pulled me closer to him just as a cheerful voice interrupted us, "There you are! I've been looking for you everywhere." Lauren said as she walked up and stood next to me. "Hi, and who might you be?" my sister asked the creep who was still gripping my arm.

"I'm Brad," he answered smugly while loosening his grip. "We were just getting to know each..."

My sister cut him off, "Well, it was nice meeting you Brad; I need to steal my sister for a moment. We'll see you around." She gave him a fake smile and pulled me along with her.

"Looks like I saved him just in time" my sister laughed as we stopped at the bar once again. She did know much of what had happened in my past, but by the look on her face, I knew she could tell I didn't like being manhandled. If she knew, just how close the situation had come to turning ugly.

I kept quiet while I tried to rein in my emotions. My sister handed me a beer while she attempted to remove the empty one from my grip. "Take a deep breath Lace," she instructed. I breathed in and allowed myself to relax once again as I slowly released the air from my lungs. My grip on the empty beer bottle eased as the tension left my body, allowing Lauren to take it from my hand. "Better?" she asked. I nodded yes.

She quickly led me to an empty table where I took a seat with her and pushed a plate of food in front of me. "Here, I got you something you eat." she smiled.

"Thanks, Lauren. For the food and for. . . You know." I motioned towards the direction we had been standing.

She laughed. "He's the one who should be thanking me. For saving his life." I smiled and started on the plate of food.

We sat there in silence for a while scanning the people on the dance floor as I ate. I looked around and saw Brad talking to a couple of guys who then left him and headed to the mansion. My eyes moved back again to the dance floor.

My heart stopped. Emerging from the bodies, which were lost in the beat of the music, was the most breathtaking redhead I'd ever laid eyes on, a beautiful smile on her face as she briefly acknowledged the people she passed.

My eyes followed the graceful movement of her slender yet curvaceous body as she walked towards me. I continued my visual worship, moving upwards from her three-inch black heels, over her form-fitting black dress, taking in the curve of her neck and the fullness of her lips which were once again parted in that gorgeous smile. Then, a pair of deep emerald green eyes that locked onto mine.