Chapter 9: Apprehended

Kia's POV

We were quickly rushed out of the cottage, and my final goodbyes were still left unsaid on my lips. Mr. Markson hurriedly led us to his car and opened the door for us, motioning for us to get in the back seat. We hastily climbed in.

Now, we were on our way to Chris and Emmaline's beach house. The plan was for us all to stay there overnight and head out in the morning. Haden's dad wasn't sure if we'd even make it to the house, and it was a risk that both Chris and I were willing to take for our new friends.

I was glad that Chris and I were in this together. He'd always been my favorite cousin, and my best friend. I was oddly happy when we drove away from that cottage. I was with someone that I loved, and not someone that I didnt. Even if it wasn't in the way that love was supposed to be these days, it was still love.

Love for family members these days was almost obsolete. A child would love their parents, but the parent's love for their child would barely exist. It was a requirement to have at least one child with your partner, and once it was done, the child was forgotten. I could relate.

Chris, on the other hand, was lucky. His parents cared for each other, they were good friends before their Assignment. They truly loved each other, and their family. My aunt and uncle had four children whom they adored. It made me have hope for my own future someday.

Since I was twelve, I had practically lived at their house. My parents wanted nothing to do with me, or each other for that matter. So, my aunt graciously took me in as one of her own. I rarely saw my parents after that. I felt no grief toward the matter.

I was often left with a babysitter in my younger years, an older lady who had never been Assigned. My mind drifted toward her often, how warm and inviting she was. It often took me a while before I could ever let her exit my head.

By the time I came out of my thoughts, we were already on the highway. City lights flashed across my vision as we drove through the dark night. The conversation between Chris and Jonathan pierced my ears. Vibrations from the engine hummed in the seat beneath me. The smell of the cool, fresh air being circulated through the cabin.

It was a relaxing moment. I was always calmed by my surroundings, wherever I might have been at the time. This helped me through a lot of the times in my life where I just needed a second to cool off. It often aided me in falling asleep every night, and for this mental strategy of mine, I was grateful.

Feeling myself begin to tire, I leaned my head against the tinted window. It had been a long day, and I needed my rest. I gradually felt myself slipping farther and farther into oblivion.

And just when I thought that everything was over, the car came to a screeching halt.

My eyes flashed open. Cop cars surrounded us on every side, lights flashing in every part of my blurred vision. The atmosphere in the small cabin quickly transitioned from calm and cool to panicked and frightened. My senses heightened. The sirens seemed louder and brighter, I was suddenly more aware that this wasn't a dream.

Chris grabbed my hand as armed officers came out of their vehicles, aiming their guns at our car. Jon sunk low in his seat and turned off the car, like he had been defeated. He had expected this.

"Kids," He whispered. "I'll talk to the officers. If they tell us to get out of the car, we'll run. They might shoot, they might catch us. Just try to get away, I want you all to have a chance."

"And Kia," He adds, looking at me, "If they ask for your name, tell them that you're Emmaline. Emmaline Marshall.

In the silence that followed, I was unable to process his words. All I did was watch, petrified, as a burly and tough-looking officer approached our vehicle. He came foward and knocked on Jon's window loudly. The glass was slowly rolled down.