Chapter 2: The Assignment

Emmaline's POV

My dream ended abruptly when I was shaken awake by Haden. Rubbing the sleep out of my eyes, I turned over to look at him. I met his eyes, and saw that they were full of sadness. He glanced over at the alarm clock on my bedside table and I followed his gaze. The red digital numbers stated that it was 3:31 am- time for him to leave.

I mentally scolded myself for not staying awake and talking to him on what may have been our last night together. Tears came into my eyes for the second time that night, thinking about it. It. The Assignment. It was all that I could think about.

The thoughts of my probable Assignment to another man saturated my mind. Why did love, of all things, be controlled and dictated like it was trouble? The reoccurring question pulsated in my thoughts like it was a living thing. Why, why, why. Over and over on repeat.

I dragged myself out of my daze and willed myself to look into Haden's eyes. In them, I saw my sadness reflected, and tears starting to well. He inhaled sharply, and all of a sudden I found myself in his strong embrace. Leaning ever so slightly out of our hug, I tilted my face up and kissed him.

After our quick but passionate kiss, he tore himself out of my arms and off of my bed. He bent down and retrieved his shirt from the floor, and started to tiptoe back to my window when he stopped in his tracks.

He turned to face me once more, letting his tears spill over at last. "Emmy Mae, I swear on my own life that I will find you as soon as I possibly can. I love you and no one else." He choked, a sob escaping his lips. "Goodbye, Emmaline, but just for now."

He ducked out of my window before letting himself break down. I could've probably heard those sobs from a mile away, and it killed me inside to hear those wreched sounds he was making. Not to mention how loud they were; he could've probably woken up my parents, but I guess he didn't care.

As the sounds faded, I knew that he was strong enough to make it home and that he would be okay.

Me, on the other hand, I wasn't so sure about.

I hadn't moved an inch since he had left me here, all alone. Empty. Now unable to cry, because I was trying to process it all. Thoughts raged through my head like a roaring river, ravaging my mind and ripping it apart. I started trembling, shaking violently, and now the tears came.

Sobs somehow escaped my tight pressed lips, soft at first, but then louder, more inhuman sounds as I pounded my pillow with my fist, angry at the world. Angry at the people who came up with the Assignment. It chose your love life for your, which permanently altered your entire future. It was a matter of chance, not choice. Fall in love before your Assignment day, and you were out of luck.

Thinking about this made me scream more, and down the hall I could hear my parents flicking on lights and rushing towards my room. In what seemed like no time at all, the door to my room burst open, letting in the harshly bright light from the hallway.

"Emmaline!" My mother screeched, flying over to my bed and taking the pillow away from me. I felt my father restraining my flailing arms, pinning them behind my back in his tight hold. My mother stroked my face comfortingly, asking my over and over what was wrong.

I did not answer her, I couldnt. I could not think, let alone speak, through my anguish. It was just the endless repeat of the name that I could never forget bouncing around in my head.

"Haden."

~~~~~~

I walked in stiff little steps, up the stairs of the town center stage. I was in my new, frilly white dress with the cobalt blue sash, linked arm-in-arm with my father. It was supposed to be a very special day for all of the sixteen year old girls. You should feel pretty, special and adored by all.