Ch. 12: Liam and Danielle

The divorce was a quick one, thank God. My mom was happy getting the house, the cars, and anything else along those lines. My dad was having my Uncle Gary - his brother - pack up anything of value to him and Audrey and ship it to London where my dad bought a new house near his office.

                    As far as what my mother was going to do…well hallelujah, she was flying back to Iowa, and only coming out for the wedding. Of course, if I had it my way she wouldn’t come back at all, but after talking to Jay about it, she persuaded me to still allow her to come to the wedding. The only bad thing about my mom leaving was that she guilted me into taking a cab ride with her to the airport.

          So here we were, a month after finding out about my parent’s divorce, and I’m in the back of a cab, zoning out my mother talking about how wonderful the single life will be.

“I’ve always thought the pool cleaner was an attractive young man, do you remember him? Kenny is his name, I think…” she went on, and I just had to stop her.

“Jeez mom, have you ever had feelings for dad? It’s like you don’t even care that a twenty-five year marriage just went down the drain!”

“Well when two people grow apart and stop loving each other, it’s a relief to get away from them,” she said casually. The only good thing about this conversation was that it had nothing to do with criticizing me. I had a sneaking suspicion that after my wedding, I would not be seeing or hearing from my mom anytime soon. I think she is going to be one of those old people that say “fuck it,” and become really irresponsible once they don’t have anything tying them down.

          “You know, Jovi, even though I’ve always meant everything I’ve said to you,” great, that’s sweet of her, “I’m sorry for being so harsh about how I said it.”

“Wait, what?!” I exclaimed.

“Well if we’re being honest, these last few months, I’ve gotten to the point where I had to make your dad want to stop trying with me. I had to make him frustrated with me, so if that meant acting a little more...”

“…bitchy?” I offered. She shot me a glare.

“…a little more forward than usual, then that’s what I was willing to do!” she explained.

          “Oh my goodness…I’m so happy you’re leaving,” I muttered quiet enough that she didn’t hear. Thankfully, we arrived at the airport and the cabbie helped my mom with her bags.

“Aren’t you going to give me a hug?” she asked sweetly from outside the rolled down window.

“Naah, I wouldn’t want to keep you any longer than you have to. You have a pool boy to go fuck,” I replied.

“Jovi! You may not agree with certain decisions, but I am your parent and I-“ I didn’t hear the rest, I rolled the window up and told the cabbie to drive. He chuckled at me and said, “Glad she’s finally gone?”

“You have no idea…”

----

          The next day was a long day at work. Meetings back to back and deadlines to be met. Poor Zayn, he has been running all over the office all week doing things for people. I’m so glad I never applied to be an intern.

At the end of the day I was beet, and all I wanted to do upon getting home was eat, and sleep. Louis looked much the same way, his classes were fun, but acting takes a lot of work and on top of that, he had assignments to grade and it was starting to pile up. By ten thirty we were already in bed, half asleep. My brain was fried as was Louis’ and his feet were sore. This resulted in sore hands for me from giving him a foot massage, but hey, it’s what you do when you’re in love.