I happen to look up and see Delilah's door slightly open. Through the space, I can see a small shadow and hear faint sniffing.

"Uh, oh. Looks like Lucy does too, now," I whisper. I quickly wipe the few tears off my cheeks and hop off the bed.

I walk over to the door and slowly open it. Lucy looks up at me, with a few streams of tears down her cheeks, which are slightly pink.

"You're leaving us?" she asks me.

I crouch down to Lucy's height. She steps a little away from me, like she's mad at me. I reach for her hand, but she moves farther back. Seeing her so upset breaks my heart.

"Luce," I whisper, "Can we talk?"

She sniffs and shakes her head.

"Really? Because that'll make me really sad if we can't talk right now. I'm going to miss you a lot," I tell her, trying not to cry.

She takes a few small steps towards me. I open my arms, and she quickly runs into me, hugging me tightly.

"I don't want you to go," she says, her voice muffled by my chest.

"I won't be gone for too long, I promise. We can talk all the time, okay? It's like I never left. Then before you know it, I'll be back." 

I have no idea when I'll be back, or even if I will come back. I'm not sure about anything anymore. 

"How far away is Aw-stralia?" Lucy asks, having a tough time saying Australia.

"Really, really far."

Lucy frowns. "So we can't take a car to come see you?"

I shake my head. "It's all the way across the ocean."

"That's too far. Why are you leaving?" she asks, looking at me with wide eyes.

"To be with my mom," I answer hesitantly.

"Oh, does your mommy miss you? I know I would miss you."

"Yeah, she does," I say, my voice breaking a little. "I'll be with her a little, then when you miss me too much, I'll be back."

"Promise?" Lucy asks, looking up at me.

"Promise."

She puts out her little pinky and makes me pinky promise her. I bite my bottom lip nervously because I know she'll remember this. I'm afraid I'll break my promise. I slowly link my pinky with hers and flash my eyes over to Delilah, who is sitting silently on her bed.

"Can me and your sister be alone for a little? Are you and me all good now?" I ask Lucy.

Lucy nods. She has stopped crying, and is almost back to normal. It's amazing how quickly little kids' moods can change. I give Lucy a hug, and she goes back to her room. I hear her start talking to her mom about me leaving.

"Are you okay?" I ask Delilah, sitting next to her again.

She nods.

"It's okay if you're not. I'm not," I tell her quietly.

"I'm not either."

For the first time ever, I see Delilah completely breakdown. She drops her head into her hands and starts sobbing. Her shoulders shake as she cries. I wrap my arms around her to try to comfort her. It's always the opposite. Now I'm trying to console her while trying to not cry too. She seems so much smaller when she's hunched over crying.

"Oh my, God," I whisper over and over. I have no idea what to do. I'm not good at this.

I hug her close to me and rock back and forth slowly.