Chapter 13

Luke's POV

Ever since Michael was in the hospital, something has felt wrong. It's like a feeling deep in the pit of my stomach that something just isn't right. Nothing bad has come up since Michael was released from the hospital last week, though. Michael is doing fine now, he's just more cautious of everything so he doesn't get another panic attack. Nothing has happened to Delilah, or Lucy, or even me. Nothing bad has happened to anyone. But something in the back of my mind is telling me the opposite. Until I figure it out though, it's going to bother me. My anxiety has been rising the past few days, and I have no clue why. It's like the sun has suddenly gone off course and shaken my whole world.

Delilah has noticed my increasing unease and nervousness throughout the past week. She thinks it would be a good idea to just relax and do something to keep my mind off of things, so we decide to go to a painting night. Apparently painting is a good way to relax, according to Delilah, so I agreed to go. It sounds kind of boring, but it can't hurt to go.

Delilah comes over to my house after school, since it's a Friday. The paint class isn't for another three hours, so we don't have to leave right away.

"So, have you talked to Calum recently?" Delilah asks, sitting down on my bed.

"Yeah, a few days ago. Why?"

She shrugs. "Just wondering since you haven't mentioned him in awhile. Just wanted to make sure you guys are still friends."

"Oh, yeah definitely."

"How about your mom?"

"She's good. She seems to be busy lately though, she can never stay on the phone too long," I tell her.

"Hmm, I wonder why. I guess it's a good thing she's busy, right? So you don't have to worry about her being alone and stuff."

When I first moved here, I always wondered what my mom would be doing. Because as far as I could remember, all she was constantly doing was taking care of me or going to work. It was almost like she didn't have a life outside of me. But now that I'm not there, she can't just sit alone at home all the time. Or at least I hope she isn't. I'd like her to be doing stuff without me there. I wouldn't want her being lonely and bored all the time.

Delilah laces her fingers with mine gently. 

"Michael seemed a lot better today," she tells me. She's been giving me daily updates since I've been worried about his well-being.

"That's great! Oh, guess what? Today at work I served someone that looked just like Michael! I had to do a double take. Except his hair wasn't dyed, so I knew it wasn't him."

Delilah laughs. "I'm still really happy you got that job."

I shrug. "It's alright, I guess. I like having my own money now, though."

"Now you just have to learn to drive and maybe go back to school!" Delilah says happily.

I smile a little. "Don't get too far ahead, now. I can only handle so much at a time."

The few hours pass quickly, and before I know it, we're outside the painting class. It's being held at a restaurant. Delilah told me they're really popular and happen a lot, but I've never heard of one before. Maybe it's just something that happens around here. 

Delilah excitedly grabs my hand as we walk inside and she keeps smiling. 

"It'll be fun, I promise. We need you to relax a little! Your palms are super sweaty lately," she says laughing.

"Hey!" I say, letting go of her hand and wiping it on my pant leg.

She smiles. "I don't mind it." She reaches for my hand, and this time I don't pull away.