Chapter 6

Luke's POV

Learning how t-

"Luke, is everything okay? You haven't left your room much today," my dad asks, walking into my room.

I quickly stop typing and shut my laptop. "Yeah, everything's fine."

"Are you sure? You know we can talk about things if you need to."

"I'm sure."

"Okay. If you need anything, I'll be in the kitchen." He starts walking out of my room slowly.

"Actually, Dad?"

"Yeah?" he says, turning back around.

"Do you think, uh, I should learn how to drive?"

My dad raises his eyebrows and sits on top of my bed. "Of course I think you should. Whenever you're ready, though."

I nod. "It's, just, the other day... Delilah was driving and started texting... It got me thinking that I should learn how to drive myself. So other people don't have to keep driving me everywhere."

"I can take you out right now if you want."

"No, no. Not right now. Just at some point. I'm going to have to get my license, I guess," I say quickly. I'm definitely not ready to drive just yet.

"No one's forcing you. Only if you want to."

I sigh. "I know. I don't really want to, but I kind of have to."

My dad nods. "I'll be ready to teach you whenever you're ready, okay?"

"Okay. Thanks."

My dad leaves my room and I sigh. I don't really want to learn to drive, but I can't depend on others for the rest of my life to drive me places. I'm going to have to learn, whether it's a few months or a few years.

Just thinking about driving makes me get nervous. Driving would give me so much power that I'm not sure I should have. I could be upset and go driving anywhere and do anything. Or someone could crash into me or I could crash into them. There's so many things that could go wrong. I don't think I will ever be fully comfortable in a car, but I've overcome a lot of other things and this has to be one of them.

I open my laptop back up and continue looking up things about driving. I try to avoid the links that lead to "Dangers of Driving" or "Terrible Car Wreck." I don't want to see those things. If I see those, I definitely won't be driving anytime soon.

One of the links I click starts telling about gas and what cars have the best mileage.

With driving, comes getting gas. And you need money to get gas.

Which I don't have.

I hadn't even thought about that.

The only way to get money is to get a job. I don't want to get a job, but I kind of need that too. I'm starting to realize that there's a lot of things in life that I'm going to have to do at some point, no matter how much I don't want to do them. I'm going to be 18 years old soon, I need to start doing things with my life.

I roll my eyes and sigh. Maybe I shouldn't learn to drive and then I shouldn't get a job. I could just continue on for the rest of my life like this.

I debate if I'd want to stay like this the rest of my life.

I don't.

I call Delilah for some advice, and she picks up after a few rings.

"Hey," I say quietly. "Do you think I could get a job?"