My One Escape

Here I am, sitting in English praying that the "meds" kicked in. I honestly don't think I will make it through the day. I just want to be in band. That is single place I feel remotely alive. I'm not very good, but it makes me feel hopful. I've practically raised my siblings since I was thirteen. Now I am a junior, wondering why the hell I'm here.

The bell rings signaling for everyone to herd to the cafeteria. I can't imagine sitting in there while those idiots pile that trash into their bodies. It makes my skin crawl to think of it. My band director is cool enough to let us hang out in the band hall. My "best friend" since second grade is already waiting for me.

"Hey Jenna," she practically screams. I was barely holding onto reality while she continued with her constant blabbering. "... so Jake and I are going to sneak a mouse into the Principal's office."

I used to be the school prankster, but I just couldn't see the point any more. One time I climbed the music library shelves and busted through the ceiling tiles. I sprayed silly string all over Mr. Style's office. I helped clean of course, but his face was priceless. I did have detention but didn't get punished too bad. I am his favorite student.

I was pulled out of my memory when Mr. S called me into the office.

"So Jenna, ... is there something you would like to share?" I was trying to figure out which horrible decision of mine he was talking about. He knows I don't talk very much any more but I give him credit for trying. He is almost the only person that has.

After a few moments he broke the awkward silence, "I can't help you if you won't let me." But I don't need help. I've been fine on my own... always on my own.

There's a light knock on the door as the bells rings signaling that lunch is over. Mr. Murray, my ag teacher, comes in as I get up to leave.

"Wait Jenna. We would like for you to stay," said Mr. Murray.

"But I have to get to algebra." I tried to get out. Knowing the "meds" were about to have full control. Mr. Murray stood firmly in front of the door, blocking any chance of retreat.

---------------------

This is my first story. Please let me know if it is interesting. I don't know what type of story it is yet but hopefully ya'll enjoy it enough that I will get to continue it.