Chapter 8

Click! The door closed. Clapping her hands twice. Darkness surrounded her in an instant. Every now and then, a sigh escaped. What am I going to do? She wondered, her mind numb. The ocean lulled her senses with each wave crashing onto the beach below. If I stay, he will never let me out of his sight again. If I go... Will they let me leave? Why are they so over protective? We are not royalty. What are they protecting us from? And more importantly, who?

Rubbing her face, she shifted to release the pressure in the soles of her feet. These questions are going to drive me insane. I have to know the answer. I need to find that piece of paper. And what are you going to do when you find it? Her mental-self asked. Shrugging. I will figure it out when I get there. Oh really? Her mental-self taunted. Like today? Oh, shut up! She snapped. I would rather die than be a prisoner in my own home.

Squaring her shoulders, she turned. Headed for one of the pedestals next to her bed and retrieved a small flashlight. Are you really going to do this? Her mental-self asked, concerned. Yes. Have you thought this through? Nope. I think you should take a pill and go to bed. Cannot do.

Removing her shoes, she clothed herself in black. Pinned her hair up and put a black wool cap on. "Ready or not, here I go." She whispered.

Tiptoeing on the carpet, she headed for the door. As softly as she could, she opened it. Sticking her head out, she looked up and down the corridor. Empty. Silent like a graveyard. Boom-boom-boom, her heart beat a million miles a second. Swallowing hard, she cringed at the sound. Please don't hear that.

Slipping out. She closed the door. Waited. Listened. Waited. Nothing. Taking a deep breath, she continued on the balls of her feet. Balancing each step to reduce any possible noise.

With each step, she took her nerves frayed a little more to breaking point. Clouds covered the moon. The light, which entered from above, covered everything in grey and black shadows. Damn! How am I going to do this? You know the house. Her mental-self said. By day and with lights on. So? Hallo, it is dark! Oh, stop whining and get on with it. Fine!

Taking a deep breath, she continued. An eerie silence settled around her. Its damp, cold fingers biting into flesh. Shivering as eeriness cloaked her every step. Air brushed her skin. Jerking to a halt. Did something just move in the shadows? Her eyes darted about like a jumping jack. Don't scream, she reminded herself. Looking at each item intently, her gaze settled on something in the corner. Did father add a statue?

If you don't move, your father will turn you into a statue. Her mental-self warned. Right. She agreed and hurried down the stairs. Who-whoo! An owl hooted just as she reached the bottom. Clamping a hand over her mouth just in time to muffle a scream. SOMEBODY IS GOING TO DIE. The thought slammed into her. I am not superstitious, she reminded herself. I just have to be careful. Reluctantly, she turned to her right. Mental images of vampires, werewolves and every sort of horror movie creatures jumped at her.

Shaking her head, the intimidating images cleared. You're not ten anymore. There is no such thing as monsters. Heading down another corridor, she finally reached her destination. Phew. So far, so good. Opening the heavy door, she slid inside. Closed it. Leaned against the wood, taking a few seconds to catch her breath. Letting her eyes adjust to the darkness. Her heart galloped like a racehorse that had just run a race. Taking a deep breath, she held it and then blew it out. This managed to slow her heart rate to normal. Her head turned in the direction of the safe, which were located, just a couple of feet from where she was standing.