3

I mounted the stage; my stomach dropping through my feet. Every step was a tremendous effort.  

  "There she is, everyone! Ms. Clove Weldinstone," Trustine smiled.

  The crowd burst into loud applause. I tried to spot my family in the thousands of people crammed into the square. I searched the entire time Mayor Raredious read the Treaty of Treason, but I couldn't see them. 

  I watched Cato out of the corner of my eye for a little while. His blue eyes were empty of any emotion; he stared blankly out over the sea of people.

  We shook hands. His grip was one of hardened steal. A height of 6' 2", a build of complete muscle. There was nothing lean about him, he was like a brick wall. Cato made Chasin look like a small, spindly sapling, and that was saying something, as Chasin is tall, and very well built.

  The national Anthem blared, and we were instantly surrounded by a huge wall of white clad peacekeepers.

  Cato and I were lead into the prodigious Justice Building. We were each given a separate room to say good-bye to our families for quite possible the last time. We were allotted one hour to do so, then we were to be loaded on the Tribute Train and shipped off to the Capitol. 

  I knew plenty of girls who, even now, just after the Reaping, were cursing me. I was chosen and they were not. Trust me, if I could choose any other girl to be in my place, I would. Like I said before, it's an honor to be your district's tribute, only it was not an honor to me.

  I said on the plush royal blue love seat. The only sound was my racing heart. 

  First to come say their good-byes was my family.

  The door was flung open by an alarmed and distressed Trinity. She raced inside.

  "Oh, Clove!" She yelped. She threw herself onto the couch next to me and wrapped her arms around me tightly.

  "Trin," I smiled, rather meekly. I had to stay strong for her and my family.

  "Clove, baby," My mother said and sat on my other side. She was crying silently. This didn't help me with my "keep strong" pledge at all. 

  Tiny, little Ginger came over and sat in my lap. "What's happening, Co?" She asked in a tiny, scared voice. She glanced over at the cold metal door apprehensively. (Co is her nick name for me.)

  "Ginger, sweetie, I have to go far, far away for a little while," I said quietly as I smoothed her golden-brown curls. She buried her face against my chest, wrinkling my dress. But anymore I didn't give a care.

  "Clove, can't you tell them to take me instead?" Becca bounded into the room, followed by my father. 

  "Don't be silly, Becca," Trinity said rather sternly, "You're only nine."

  "Yeah, but I'm big," Becca crossed her arms in indignation. She was right, in a way. She was almost as tall as Trinity at 4' 11".

  "Not big enough, Bec, not that I'd let you volunteer anyway," I rumpled Becca's hair affectionately.

  For a while we all sat in silence.

  Then the big steal door opened with a thud. A peacekeeper said in a deep voice, "Another girl here to see you."

  Ginger was the first one of us to move.  She enveloped me in her slight arms and hugged me close. "I love you. Come home soon, okay, Co?"

  "Yes, Ginger," I said, feeling the corners of my eyes stinging with tears I couldn't afford to let fall just yet.

  Next were my mother and father.

  "I believe in you, Clove," Dad said quietly.

  "We both do. We love you, Clove," Mom whispered into my hair. Her and my father's embraces loosened.

  Becca was whimpering now; all of her former bravado gone. "Clove," She said thickly. Becca, much like myself, isn't one to cry easily, so when tears began to splash down her cheeks I was disconcerted. "I love you," Becca gave me a hug and a kiss on the forehead.

  "I love you too, Becca," I said sadly, hugging her back firmly.

  Last was Trinity. Her deep green eyes were stormy and determined. Her lips were set in a tight line, her brow creased worriedly. When she hugged me I felt her fear and tension.

  "Listen to me, Trinity, I promise you I will come home. You will see me again. Never, ever lose hope," I whispered in as strong a voice as I could manage.

  When Trinity pulled away tears were silent, glistening streaks down her lightly freckled cheeks. 

  "I promise!" I said as she and my family exited the room. 

  Desra Lacker, my best friend, came in next.

  "You've got this in the bag, Clove," Desra said, smiling rather sadly.

  "Des," I said, "Oh, what am I going to do?!"

  "You're going to calm down and win, Clove. Just try not to be the one ti kill that Cato guy, he's hot. You've got it in you, just concentrate," Desra said, hugging me. "Throw those knives straight, okay? Good-bye, Clove. And don't worry, you'll be our victor, I know it. I love you," Desra let go and kissed my on the forehead. She winked as she walked out. Little did I know it was the last time I'd ever see her again.

  Last to enter the room was Chasin.

  At the sight of him, his windswept black hair, stunning brown eyes, and chiseled features, my breathing grew constricted. I was loosing what bit of composure I had left.

  "Clove," Chasin walked in slowly, unsure of what was running through my mind. 

  A lone tear slipped steadily down my cheek. Hastily, Chasin sat down beside me and pulled into his lap. He examined my face and gently brushed the tear away before it reached my jaw line.

  "Hush my angel,

  Let your sorrows fade,

  Relax in the shade,

  Of the sweet summer's day," Chasin sang to me lovingly.

  "Hush my love,

  Let your fears fly away,

  Calm as when I stay,

  And let me say,

  Hush my beauty,

  Soft and kind,

  Be of sound mind,

  As you are mine."

  The song was short, yet it made me content, in a way.

  Tenderly, Chasin kissed the tip of my nose, my forehead, my cheeks, and finally my lips.

  Urgently, Chasin pulled away. I looked up at him in wonder; why had he stopped?

  "The necklace, it opens," Chasin tapped the heart pendant that rested against my neck. "Open it when you're on your way to the arena."

  "Sure," I said. "Please?" He knew what I meant, and kissed me once again.

  "Time's up," A peacekeeper came in and roughly pulled Chasin away from me.   

  "I love you!" Chasin yelled as the peacekeeper shoved him outside of my room.

  "I love you too!" I said, though I'll never know if he heard me. 

  Everything I knew and loved was being taken away. I willed myself not to burst into tears.