The Runaway Marriage

The day started normally. The nursery was the same as always; cluttered with my sister's dolls, blunt pencils and fraying books. Bustling Tehran traffic hurried along outside and I couldn't help but wonder when our governess was arriving home with lunch.

"Amber, come downstairs please," I hungrily raced downstairs to my governess.

"You called me, Dilara?" I questioned anxiously.

"Yes. When your parents died, they left a will, wanting it completed by your sixteenth birthday." Dilara began, her voice soft with caution. Those words made me feel nervous. I was never permitted to look at my parents' will; the adults said it was nothing I should be concerned about. All I knew was that my inheritance was due in three days on my 16th birthday. "There is more than just money and possessions involved in that will," Dilara explained.

I stood there confused, waiting for her to continue. "They said that they had always wanted their eldest daughter to be married by the time she turned 16," Dilara explained slowly.

What? Why would they want me to completely uproot my life just to be married to some family I don't know? It wasn't right.

"There's a family in Kabul, looking for a bride" Dilara replied. Kabul? That is one of the most dangerous cities in the world. The government is corrupt. Violence is everywhere. I couldn't breathe.

"I know this is unfortunate, but the wedding is tonight; you have to get ready," Dilara urged. No Tehran. No time. No choice. No life.

"Amber?" That snapped me out of my trance, my little sister, Mia.

"She's fine. We're just going on a trip; you must pack some clothes," Dilara declared. A mouth full of lies.

I was dressed; curls pulled back, tan skin caked in makeup. My body forced into a white gown that would soon become wrecked. My face unrecognizable, my life was over, I was as good as dead. I didn't know what would become of Mia. I hugged her forcefully for what I thought would be the last time.

Then I saw it, a shiny, regal car.

"Amber..." Suddenly a look of dread washed over Dilara's face, "You must run. Go, don't come back," I looked at her, pale face, frail figure, distinctively Turkish, why would she help? Did she take pity on me? Agree that it wasn't right? I didn't know then, I don't know now; all I know is something happened inside of her. She saved me.

"Run to Turkey, find my family, don't come back." She breathed, the car, it was coming closer.

"Take Mia and run, there's money at the back door," she whispered hurriedly. The car approached, closer, closer. I needed to leave.

"Come with us Dilara," I rushed. At first, she was a deer in the headlights, but she shook her head sadly. I hugged her, thanking her for everything silently. When I pulled back, tears were filling her soft eyes. I would miss those eyes.

"I'll hold them off, you run."

I seized Mia and ran. Leaving Dilara to explain our situation. We ran until we hitched a ride, then we ran again. We're still running now, and I don't know if we are safe. I don't when we will stop, but I know that for now, we will run.

This is it... I hope you guys liked it. As I said in the description, this was a school essay, so I thought I would upload this and see how it goes. Yes, this contrasts my other book a fair bit, and if you read my other book as well, I'm not abandoning it. Believe in me!!! Please Vote and comment what you think of it, etc. I want to see if I should start writing more books like this in the future so if you give me your 2 million (my version of 2 cents) that would be beyond wonderful.  

xoxo Anastasia