Country Cousins

I looked around impatiently while I waited for Tyler to walk out of the school building. I was filled with excitement and I just wanted to leave for the countryside already. 

"So, a whole weekend with Tyler," Nick teased. He was standing beside me, waiting as well since he was taking us home. Soon Tyler would turn eighteen though so he would be able to drive himself home, and hopefully me if I was lucky.

"I spend all my weekends with Tyler now," I shrugged. "I do live with him, remember?"

"Yeah, but you seem really excited," Nick pointed out.

"I'm just excited to go to the countryside with him," I laughed happily.

"You should be, he always says that it's one of his favourite times of the year," Nick grinned. "Every time he visits his cousins he comes back happier than ever. I Hope you have fun."

At that moment Tyler walked out, grinning from ear to ear. I guessed I wasn't the only one who was excited.

"You ready for the weekend?" he asked me as soon as he approached.

"Definitely," I said excitedly. I gave him a thumbs up to really convince him.

"Great because mum just sent me a text," he explained. "She says that everyone is ready to go. We just have to arrive home, load our bags and then we're off."

I almost jumped up and down at his explanation, but I saw Nick's face. He was shocked, focusing on something in the distance. I gave Tyler a wide smile and looked over in the direction of where Nick was looking.

My mouth hung open slightly as I took in what I saw. He was staring at Lacey, a look that I only just recognised. Obviously Tyler didn't understand the slight change in his expression, since he made himself comfortable in the front seat of the car. I saw Nick's jaw clench ever so slightly as he stared at her. She was walking with another guy, a guy that I, myself did not trust. From the brown eyes and the dusty blonde hair I could tell he was the guy from the first night I had arrived in town. He was a pervert and he was also one of Tyler's friends, therefore I assumed that Nick would've been good friends with him too. Nick seemed slightly jealous.

"Nick," I said, interrupting him from his trance. He whipped around to face me and I raised my eyebrows.

"Lacey huh?" I asked. I didn't know whether she was the mystery in his life or whether it was just a coincidence. His eyes flickered with an emotion and then he shook his head sadly.

"It's uh," he was lost for words. "I don't know, my feelings towards her are complicated." He paused and then swallowed like he'd never meant to tell me that. "Cassie! If you tell anyone-"

"Stress less," I reassured him. "Who am I going to tell?"

"Tyler," he said slyly, the signature smirk returning to his face. "I hear you two are getting close."

"And where did you hear that?" I mumbled, leaning on the bonnet of his car. I peaked inside to see Tyler scrolling through his phone. He wouldn't be eavesdropping, and besides, the doors were shut and so were the windows. He couldn't hear us at all.

"Do remember that Tyler is like a brother to me," he smirked. "He tells me everything."

"What did he tell you?" I asked quickly. Nick seemed to find my suffering pleasurable, he started laughing for a second before turning serious.

"Just little things, things he notices about you," he shrugged. "It's quite sweet of him actually. I haven't seen Tyler like this in a long time."

"It's just because I live with him," I laughed uneasily. "He has to do his best to make me feel comfortable."