Overprotective?

I was currently sitting on the grass at the local park with Lacey by my side. I'd survived my first week of school, successfully becoming friends with the interesting girl who proved to be quite queer but extremely likable. Her blue eyes seemed to always have a sparkle in them, maybe a sparkle of mischief. Her layered, fire red hair reached the top of her shoulders. She had a side part and some hair covered her black rimmed eyes ever so slightly. She would wear a lot of black. She owned at least a couple of leather jackets and studded boots. She would wear ripped jeans with interesting studded belts, or ripped tights, maybe even any tights that looked unique, often with an intricately designed skirt.

She was currently wearing a tight grey singlet with one of her famous leather jackets, silver studs on the area covering her shoulders. She was sitting cross-legged in a pair of ripped tights and black denim shorts over the top. Her black boots reached just below her knee. She was nibbling on a few hot chips, staring up at the sky.

Luckily it had not rained today, yet. Unfortunately I was not a girl who enjoyed the depressing Winter season. I hated the sight of grey clouds and limited sun. I hated the rain and having to step over enormous puddles. I had to admit, I did quite like the Winter clothing and snuggling up in bed at night, or sitting around a blazing fire, warming my hands. In my old house we owned a fireplace and I practically had a spot on the wooden floorboards marked with my name.

"Are you nervous?" she asked unexpectedly, pulling me from my thoughts of home. I stared ahead, unsure of how to answer. Was I really nervous?

"It's just a movie," I shrugged, acting cool about it. Lacey spun and stared at me wide eyed.

"Are you serious?" she said stunned. "Wow, Cassie honey, you have a lot to learn. A movie with Nick Ryan is not just a movie. It could be classified as a lot of things. The correct term I think we need to use is date." She smirked and I shook my head.

"I don't think it's a date," I muttered awkwardly. "I've only just met the guy. Surely he's not interested."

"You are so naive," Lacey snorted and chucked another chip into her mouth. I really needed to eat my fair share before she ate the lot. "Nick doesn't often ask a girl to hang out with him. He's one of the jocks who prefers his mates over chicks. As the saying goes, bros before hoes. Not that you're a hoe, it's just an unusual thing for Nick to do. Girl, you are so lucky!"

"I don't expect anything to happen," I mumbled. "In some ways I don't want anything to happen."

I definitely didn't want anything to happen. Even if I was the slightest bit interested in Nick, I could never really pursue a relationship, or anything along those lines. Not with Tyler around, and not with my lack of knowledge when it came to the male population.

"Now don't you go and chicken out," Lacey pointed a finger at me and attempted a stern look. "You are going to this movie tonight, rain, hail or sunshine. I don't care what excuses you have building up in that head of yours, you cannot cancel on Nick Ryan. It'll be fun. You'll hang out and have a good time."

I laughed. "Okay, calm down. I'll go tonight."

I started to think of a plan of how to get out without Tyler finding out. That was one thing I hadn't mentioned to Lacey. No one could know that I lived with Tyler.

"What are you going to wear?" she asked, dragging me from my train of thoughts once again. I bit my lip and frowned. That was a good question.

~~~

"Rose?" I asked, a bunch of folded clothes piled high in my arms. Rose turned around from her place in the kitchen and alerted me that she was listening.