Chapter 7: Life and death

Peeta's POV:
Katniss is going back into the games, it's going to be either Haymitch or myself going in with her. Of course I have to, to protect her. I haven't been doing a very good job lately so I should make up for it. Katniss has a life worth living, her family, while all I have is Katniss. I love my father and brothers, but they don't need me and I don't need them. I walk to Haymitch's house with one intention.
"We have to save Katniss, you chose her last time now it's my turn to get what I want" I tell him.
Haymitch sits there considering my request, but I already know the answer.
"Are you sure?" He asks.
"I am" I reply in less than a second.
"Okay, but when she comes here begging me to save your life I will have to lie".
"That's fine, I don't care what we have to do as long as she gets a go at a full life" I tell him truthfully.
"I'm sorry" is all he says as I walk out.
I go back to Katniss and I's house, but she's not here. I expected that. I walk to the basement, or my 'painting studio' and get to work. I didn't know what I was painting until I finished. It turns out I painted Katniss' mockingjay pin, I thought I could give it to Haymitch, as a message, so I write: 'She has no idea the effect she can have'. I cover it in a sheet and write 'For Haymitch' on it. I'll go and cook some cheese buns for Katniss, hopefully it'll cheer her up.

Katniss comes home and runs I to my arms not saying a single word.
"Katniss-" I start.
"Don't Peeta, let's just enjoy our time together"
I obey and we just stand there, holding each other, not daring to let go.