Chapter 16

(Louis' Pov)

I was the first to wake that morning. I had slept but it felt like my mind was awake the entire time with each piece of evidence constantly circling around my brain. I wasn't tired though. I was used to this, having restless nights of sleep because of a case. It was natural. 

I showered in the space of 4 minutes and 37 seconds. 

I had to be quick because with our location compromised, even that short length of a shower that I had, would have been enough for Basilone to make a move.  

Whilst the boys were still asleep I made a cup of tea and sat at the breakfast bar, staring at the notes trying to figure out the handwriting. It's strange. I can memories formulas, names, dates, languages in an instant. I can recall every person I have ever tracked in chronological order but I cannot for the life of me remember where I had seen this before. It's almost as if my brain doesn't want to know the answer, so instead it is just blocking it all out.

 I tried picturing every scenario where I could I have seen it but...nothing. 

Simply nothing.

Unsurprisingly Liam was next to wake up and he gave me a sympathetic look as he wandered into the kitchen and saw me staring at the piece of paper.  

"Still no luck?" I shook my head with a sigh.

"I think I have been distracted for too long and my spy skills have gone rusty. My memory is betraying me right now." 

"I'm sure you'll figure it out." Liam stated.

"When?!" I cried, fists clenching. "When one of you boys has been murdered. There is too much of a risk at the moment and I'm failing at the one thing I am good at in life. I wasn't even the one who figured out the handwriting was an important clue, that was you."

"You're not failing Louis. You have kept us alive so far and me figuring out the handwriting was a fluke. I don't have the first clue when it comes to your business. I can't read a person just by looking out them,  I can't take down criminals or hack into security. What I do know is that I trust you and I have faith in you. I would have ran away by now if I didn't." He replied, shaking the bad thoughts out of me for a moment.

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be sorry. You are allowed to feel like this. Even spies have feelings and can have off days. It's normal." Liam said.

"I'm not normal." I argued

"Well that is where you are wrong Tomlinson." 

I huffed and went back to staring at the piece of paper. After a while the words started to irritate me, so I pocketed the piece of paper and just in time as footsteps could be heard from upstairs. It was Harry appeared next with tear stained cheeks and dark bags under his eyes. He momentarily looked directly at me before shaking his head and walking straight to fridge without a word. I didn't even bother trying to start up a conversation. If I fixed things with Harry I would hurt him again by hiding my secret or I would get distracted. Ignoring him was the only way I could keep him safe.

"H, we are leaving in a couple of hours, you might want to get Zayn and Niall up." Liam told him, trying to interact with him.

"Whatever." Harry grumbled, taking a bottle of water from the fridge and heading straight back upstairs.

"He is really upset by what happened yesterday."

"I tried to stay away from him, he is the one who insisted we get closer and look what happened." I stated bluntly.

"You sound like you don't care about him." 

"More like the complete opposite which is why I have to act like this. It's the only way to keep him safe. I'll work on fixing him emotionally after this mission is over." I replied.