21. The Other Side of Riddle

Start from the beginning

"But sir," exclaimed a flustered Alecto. "That is not fair."

"Miss Carrow, I deeply agree with the Headmaster" said Dumbledore patiently. "Hogwarts is supposed to be a safe place, if not the safest. Having a bunch of students duelling inside the school won't make it any--"

"I didn't do anything! "Cried Cepheus, interrupting Dumbledore's words.

"This is all her fault!" Exclaimed Alecto, pointing a long slim finger in Hermione's direction. "Tell them, Lockhart. Tell them what curse you used on me."

There was silence. Hermione had frozen, her face expressionless, but her eyes were flickering back and forth between Dumbledore's and Dippet's, as though trying to think of a way out of this mess.

"Tell them." Repeated Alecto angrily.

"Miss Lockhart," said Dumbledore. "What curse did you use on Miss Carrow?"

Hermione sighed in defeat, Dumbledore's hard gaze was cutting her like knifes, causing an earning feeling to tell the truth rise at the pit of her stomach. She bowed her head shamefully. "The Cruciatus Curse."

Dippet's eyes widened considerably as he eyed the light brown haired girl shockingly. "This is outrageous. A scandal. I will not have a transfer student do such cruel acts in my school. Ruining our image. "

Riddle leaped forward. "Sir, if I may", he began. "Perhaps it would be wise to let Miss Lockhart explain as to why she found the need of using such a cruel curse on Miss Carrow."

But Dippet was not having it: he shook his head like an old elephant bothered by mosquitoes. "Tom, I will not listen to such nonsense. I should be contacting the Ministry as we speak."

Hermione's heart did a somersault. The thought of being thrown into Azkaban seemed to be the only thing on her mind.

"I'm so sorry," said Hermione helplessly, "I really --"

"I don't care for your apologies, Miss Lockhart." Said a troubled Dippet.

"Sir," interjected Riddle for the second time. He walked toward the Headmaster and bent down, whispering to him. Hermione struggled to hear what he was saying, but all she could understand were bits and pieces: "I believe... something to do... encounter with... dementors...soul."

"Well," Said Dippet, who had been listening to Riddle intensely. The Slytherin Prefect returned to his previous place in between Malfoy and Alecto. "Due to past circumstances, I decided to allow Miss Lockhart explain herself, and upon hearing it. I will decide her fate in this school. "

Hermione stared at Riddle flabbergasted. Was he helping her? Why would he do such thing? She had never felt so confused, so scared like she does now. Dumbledore escorted Cepheus, Carrow and Malfoy out the office to hear their version of the incident. The dark haired Slytherin boy, eyed Hermione for a moment before turning and beginning to make his way toward the exit.

"Riddle," called Dippet, when he finished clearing his previously disorganized desk. "I ought to make you stay since you're a prefect and have knowledge of the events."

Tom nodded his head and walked up next to Hermione. "Of course sir," breathed Riddle. A flush of excitement was rising up his neck into his hollow cheeks; he looked agitated. "If you insist." The old man motioned both to sit across from him.

Hermione's legs were trembling. She stumbled forward and sat down on the small wooden chair, staring at her lap, her head bowed as though in prayer.

"Well," said the Headmaster uncomfortably, "you must understand that the use of an unforgivable is utterly forbidden inside this walls...or outside for that matter. "He looked distressed to be touching such evil subject.