Chapter 12

Amelia answered the door, curly hair flying everywhere. Her expression remained blank as she noticed me. "Can I help you?"

My hands flew to my mouth. "Amelia, it's me!"

Amelia arched a brow. "And you are..."

I couldn't. Believe. This.

"Stop, I'm not in the mood for this right now," I pleaded. "I need to talk to you?"

"Who the hell even are you?" Amelia boomed. "I'm not playing games. Tell me who you are."

Tears rose to my eyes. Amelia really didn't remember me.

"I'm your best friend," I sniffled. "Ella. I left my hairclip in your room two months ago. Listen, Amelia, I wasn't expecting you not to know who I was, but you're going to have to trust me. I'm your best friend. I've been your best friend since the sixth grade. I can prove it."

Amelia narrowed her eyes. "I don't know who you are-"

"On the night of June 15th, where were you?"

"At a Taylor Swift concert," Amelia answered slowly.

"Who were you with?" I prodded.

Amelia concentrated. "Um...I can't remember."

"Try harder," I begged.

"I literally can't remember." Amelia gave me a funny look. "It's like a huge blank spot in my memory."

"How about field day in third grade? Who were you paired with? Wait you wrote it! In your journal!"

"I-what?"

I pushed past Amelia and thundered up the stairs. She followed me. I twisted the first door handle and went into her room, opened her TV cabinet and delved behind the TV.

"How did you know this was my room?" she demanded. "How did you know where I keep the journal I haven't used since fourth grade?"

"I gave you a new one for your birthday in seventh grade," I remembered, flipping through the old journal. "It's purple. Your favorite color. You keep it under your bed."

Amelia looked terrified.

I got to the page where it had my name and yelled in frustration when I realized that my name was completely obliterated by a water stain. "Goddamn it, they did a good job of making you forget me."

"Who is they?" Amelia screeched. "Who are you? How do you know me so well?"

I took a deep breath and sat on her bed. "I think I'd better explain. And start from the beginning. And hopefully when I'm finished, you'll believe me."

...

Two hours later, I sat on my bed, holding a small blue flame in my palm when the door burst open.

I quenched my flame and stood up. "Lex?"

"Isabella Ameryst Raven!" she shouted. "What did you do?"

Shit. "I-"

"Never mind that. Tell me, have you ever liked anyone before Oliver?" she asked urgently.

My eyes widened in alarm. "Not like that," I said cautiously.

Lex kicked my bed. "Shit! I can't fucking believe this! Your One is Oliver?"

"My One?"

Lex waved a hand impatiently. "You're supposed to find your One before your 16th birthday. Only thing is, Oliver's never had a One. He never will. He's immune. And you'll never get over him, because he's your One, but you're not his. The only thing that can sever that bond is death."

I gasped. "So basically, I've fallen in love with Oliver and I'm doomed."

"That sums it up," Lex agreed.

My head fell into my hands. "Crap. Now I've sentenced Oliver to this sick bond that he doesn't even feel-"

"Ella, this doesn't hurt my brother at all. It only hurts you. He's just distraught that he's hurting you by not feeling the same way. He really does care about you, just not that way."

"I kissed him," I groaned.

"He doesn't blame you a bit. People can't really control themselves around their One sometimes."

She wasn't wrong. "I'm such an idiot, Lex."

Lex gave me a small shove towards the door. "Go talk to him."

I shook my head. "Later. Not now."

"Okay." She took a deep breath and changed the subject. "How was your visit with your friend? Casey told me you went over there."

"Terrible," I sighed. "She doesn't remember me at all. She doesn't believe anything I say."

"I'm sorry," Lex said quietly.

"It's fine." I stood up. "Today is not my day."

Then I went to talk to Oliver.

Because that would end well.