Chapter Thirty-One: Restful Dreams

Start from the beginning

"Hey," I jumped as I was suddenly jerked out of my own head and into reality, looking up at Karp as he smiled softly at me. I returned it, dog-earring my page and leaning back forward.

"Hey," I responded. "What's up?"

DKarp nodded towards Max, watching as the curly haired boy turned towards us and winked at me, his smile soft as he turned back to a couple of his fans. "He wanted someone to come check on you," Karp mused. "He said he was wondering if any of his fans had approached you yet."

I snorted. "No," I told him. "But they've been staring at watching me like hawks. It's kind of intimidating, honestly," I confided. My friend laughed, leaning against the table.

"Max also wanted me to ask how your pain is," he asked next, his tone a little more somber. I frowned, scratching the back of my neck as I sighed.

"It's bad," I admitted. "But I'd rather you not tell him that."

Karp nodded. "I figured," he told me. "I'll keep quiet," he promised. "But can you handle it? The pain, I mean."

I frowned, wincing as we spoke, though not from the pain. I was beginning to literally crave for Max's skin on mine, his lips pressed against my own, and it was so much more painful than my injuries. I cringed, looking over at my love and sighing longingly.

"I'll be fine," I told Karp. "I just hope this meet and greet doesn't last very long," I confessed. "It's hard being apart from him right now."

DKarp just chuckled, gently patting my shoulder. "He feels the same way," he assured me, grinning. "I'll see you soon."

I nodded. "See you," I told him, smiling and waving as he made his way back to the band. I sighed again, reopening my book and trying to bury myself into the story again, rather than my desire for Max's touch. I let his scent from his hoodie fill my mind, making the nearly impossible feat a little harder to swallow. I sighed, yet again, squirming slightly, waiting for Max to get done.

"Waiting on me?" a soft, low voice whispered in my ear, strong arms slipping around my waist. He startled me, causing me to jump again, though this time in his embrace.

"As a matter of fact, I am," I returned, listening to Max's quiet breathing behind me. "Though I could've done without the scaring, baby."

Max chuckled, squeezing my waist gently. "Sorry, love," he murmured, resting his chin on my shoulder. A warm, beautiful sensation flooded my body at his touch, his gentle fingers caressing my arms as his hands ran up and down my skin. "It's just too tempting not to sneak up on you."

I smiled. "Well," I told him. "Scaring me aside, what're you doing?" I asked. "There are still plenty of girls over there to be met and gret."

Max snorted. "I hate to bring it up, but gret isn't a word, beautiful."

I laughed. "I know," I assured him. "But 'meeted and greeted' just sounded weird in my head."

Max smiled, amused by my response. "Karp happened to mention to me you were in need of a few loving gestures from a certain man who stole your shirt," he told me, his tone adoring. I stifled a laugh at the way he'd put it, his words meaningful in the way he spoke to me.

"Tell that man that he can keep my shirt, since technically it was his to begin with," I mentioned off-handedly. "And while you're at it, tell him thank you for coming to hold me for a minute."

Max kissed my cheek. "I don't think he requires thanks for coming to put both his and his gorgeous fiancé's minds to rest," he admitted. "I'm confident he missed you as much as you missed him... Maybe even more."