Chapter Thirty-One: Restful Dreams

Start from the beginning

"A perfect sensation..." I said.

"That blossomed into so much more," my love finished.

"The night we went all the way..." I giggled.

"The night that connected us in body and spirit," Max murmured.

I sighed in content, realizing Max had slowly been moving closer, now hovering over me with his arm on my opposite side to keep himself balanced. He gave me a small, loving smile, his eyes still slightly lost in the swirl of memories and feelings. "It was so soft, and slow..."

I closed my eyes. "Tender..." I added. Max nodded, his face still inching closer.

"Tender," he repeated, his lips grazing my skin as he spoke. "Beautiful..."

I sucked in a surprised breath as he kissed me, bringing my numb body closer. He lifted me by my shoulders, guiding my arms up around his neck. His hand slid down my back and rested against my hip, squeezing gently as he softly deepened our kiss, resting himself closer without applying pressure to my body. The covers kept us warm as he just laid in our bed, kissing gently and reminding ourselves why we were given the hand we were dealt; because at the end of the game, we both knew we'd been given the cards of a lifetime.

We slowly pulled away, out of breath, listening to each other try to regain control. Max smiled as we listened to the alarm suddenly go off, making Karp mumble indignantly in his sleep, roll over, slapping the snooze button, and then rolling back over. Max leaned down to whisper in my ear, his voice giving me rippling chills.

"Christmas night..." he murmured, nibbling gently on the top of my ear. "In my room, with your brother below us and one of our best friends across the lounge."

I smiled, recalling the love making easily and pecking his lips in return.

* * * * *

I laughed as Max encircled me in his arms, pressing me close and holding my face in his chest. "You're sweaty!" I told him, feeling his heart still pounding with the adrenaline of the show he'd just done. My love grinned, slowly shimmying me out of his plaid shirt I wore on my body over a gray tank top.

"Can I take this?" he asked. "I still have a meet and greet, and as you mentioned, I'm kinda sweaty."

I nodded, watching him slide out of the wet tank top he had on for the show. The girls who were around screamed as he stood there with his shirt off, as I began laughing at how I thought they'd react if they knew that's how he slept beside me every night, bare-chested. He smirked slightly as he tugged the plaid shirt around himself, hurriedly trying to button it up, and in his haste doing the buttons wrong.

I laughed, grabbing him by his collar before he could run off. "Your buttons are all wrong," I whispered, pulling him back in front of me and beginning to fix them. Max smiled softly as he watched me, protectively holding my waist as I redid the last button. "You know," I whispered. "You'd think at twenty-one years old you could button your own shirt properly," I mused, my voice quiet. He laughed as he leaned forward and kissed my cheek, eliciting a loud and collective 'aww' from the girls in the crowd. I suppressed a snort, pecking his lips in return.

"Love you," he told me, slowly letting me go. He faced me long enough to hear me tell him that I loved him too, and to flash me a genuinely loving smile, before he turned and walked over to where the meet and greet was going on. I sighed as I hoisted myself up onto the table behind me, pulling my booted leg up to lay straight on the table beside me. I began playing with my hair as I grabbed my novel of the week, flipping to my place and beginning to chew my bottom lip as I read.

I shivered slightly as a gust of wind blew my curls around, making goosebumps form on my now bare shoulders. I sighed a small sigh as I leaned to my left, stretching until my fingers grasped Max's black hoodie I'd brought just in case, quickly slipping it over my body and nuzzling into its comforting warmth. I returned happily to my book, enveloping myself in the thrilling plot of my newest addiction.