"Well," she says when it is done. "Where are your clothes?"

Before I can answer she heads to the bedroom. I follow, slightly anxious she'll be suspicious when she realizes I have only the dirty clothes I was wearing. But a midnight blue dress lies spread across the double bed.

I stop, watching as she runs a hand appreciatively across the quality fabric. My eyes twitch to the door. Deadran's shuffle would have alerted me to his entrance, and another serving girl would have knocked. Which leaves the Prince. I imagine him arranging the dress while I sit naked in the tub chatting nonsense to Tilda, and my cheeks flame. But modesty should be the least of my concerns in light of what the dress implies.

The neck of the dress cuts high against the throat. Fabric gathers at the shoulders and extends to cover the wrists with a lacy frill. A cotton petticoat, underpants, and a corset with ribbons have been laid beside it. A pair of brown leather riding boots stand beside the rocking chair, and a matching cloak hangs above them. Jakut means to present me as a lady. Not a serving boy. Not even a serving girl. But a lady!

Tilda helps me dress and I do my best to curb my impatience at getting away from her fluttering, pruning hands. I am impatient to show the Prince what an error he is making.

"Do you not wish to look at yourself in a glass?" she asks as I head for the bedroom door.

"The mirror in the dining room is larger," I tell her. "I don't want to spoil the full effect!"

I leave her beaming and tramp through the hallway in tight boots and a skirt that makes me feel I've got caught up in riverbed flotsam, and I am dragging it tangled around my feet.

A clatter of plates and Tug's low voice float through the wood panelled hall. Brin, seated opposite the dining room door, sees me first. His mouth opens and he stops eating. Tug turns to stare, followed by Prince Jakut who is taking his supper with a book in his hands.

I stand in the doorway with my palms on my hips, like a peacock attempting to puff itself up and not appear intimidated.

"What is the meaning of this?" I ask.

Jakut closes his book and rises. He crosses the room, arcing around to inspect me from the sides. "The color and cut suit you well enough," he says. He holds out his arm as a gentleman would for a lady to take. "May I escort you to your table?"

"I think I can find it well enough." I stomp past him to the table where my supper has been left covered. I yank back a chair and drop down, folding my arms. "Eat," he says. "We must leave shortly."

"I cannot ride like this."

"It will be strange at first, but you will adapt."

I look to Tug for help. His stony expression tells me he will not be intervening. Brin has acquired another piece of colored quartz around his neck. He squeezes the crystal in his chunky hand. The Prince pulls up a chair at the head of the table, beside me. He leans close and speaks in a low voice.

"I will present you to the Lyndonian court as Lady Mirra Tersil from Delladea."

My eyes slide across to Brin and Tug. It is hard to glean anything from their schooled faces, but I'm guessing they have known of this plan since their grim expressions in the dining room this morning. If they have not been able to deter Prince Jakut from this stupidity, his mind will be hard to change.

"When I was found after the attack that left me for dead, your father, Lord Tersil, took me into his home and you cared for me and brought me back to life. Your father has provided a discreet escort for my travels across Caruca to Lydnonia, where I intend to wait for news of the King under my uncle's protection."

I rub tingling hands against the anxious squeeze in my chest.

"What sort of father," I say, as steadily as I can, "would allow his sixteen-year-old daughter to travel the country with a young Prince whose life is in danger?"

"My assassins left me for dead over five months ago. The King's soldiers began their search after the winter darkness, but no one believes I am alive. While I am presumed dead, my life and yours are safe."

"People will notice me!" I hiss. "They will ask questions. What possible reason could propel a young lady halfway across the kingdom with two of her father's kinsmen and the Prince of Caruca?"

Jakut looks perplexed. "They will wonder whether you have captured the Prince's heart when you sat day after day by his bedside willing him back to life. They will be full of curiosity and questions, but the last thing they will ask is if you are Uru Ana."

So I will be watched closely by everyone. The Prince will have a reason to post guards outside my door—in the name of protection. I will not be able to breathe without someone noticing. And how am I supposed to convince lords and ladies I am one of them?

"A man who has money and authority," I say, "would not let his young, influential daughter go without more reason than she has captured the Prince's attention."

Jakut straightens his shoulders and touches his fur collar where the royal signet ring hangs hidden from sight. "We are secretly engaged."

He cannot be serious! But Tug and Brin's sombre expressions confirm that he is.

"People are not blind!"

"I will need you by my side, helping me navigate whom and what I should already know. It is the perfect excuse to keep you close."

"Deadran," I call, rousing the old tutor from where he snoozes by the fire. "Tell him it is ridiculous."

Jakut bites his bottom lip. "Would it be so hard, Mirra," he says, "to pretend?" The sincerity in his eyes sets my nerves on edge. A sickness rises through me as I realize what Brin and Tug know. This is a lost battle.

"Perhaps," I say, swallowing the lump threatening to strangle my voice, "if I were travelling on some diplomatic mission for my father."

"You are too young and too—" He cuts himself off. The unfinished sentence hangs in the air, affronting me and making me curious at the same time. I am too what?

"You are both willing to risk your lives for such a ruse?" I demand of Tug and Brin. Brin's brow dips in the slightest show of disapproval but it is the only response I get. "So it has been decided?" I do not restrain the fury surging to the surface.

"Mirra," Jakut says, resting a hand on my arm. I flinch and move away. Until two weeks ago, three people comprised my world. I will be lost in a royal fort, surrounded by lords and ladies, pretending I know of romance and courtship when my heart is a cold mystery even to myself. "You won't have to do anything," he says. "I'll be the one that convinces them. All I ask is you stay discreetly by my side."

I eat in silence. When I rise to gather my things for our journey, I catch sight of myself in the giant mirror above the fireplace. A cold shiver prickles down my back. It is as though a wraith from the mind-world has crept into the dining room through a forbidden doorway. I almost mistook my reflection for one of the innkeeper's ladies in Delladea fifteen years ago.

It is the first time I have seen myself in silver glass since I was ten. My face is still heart-shaped, the structure of my cheeks and snub nose bear the same neat contours as before. My skin is sandy, my brown eyes almost black they are so dark. But I do not recognize myself. I am a stranger. The eyes ageless and haunted. I look away.

Disturbed, I tell myself it is the effect of midnight-black hair pouring down my back, the uncomfortable dress, the sudden shock of seeing myself six years older. I tell myself I am not afraid of the girl in the mirror, but deep in my bowels I am all twisted up. It is as though I do not know myself. And that is almost as unnerving as what awaits me in Lyndonia.

Hi! Hope you're enjoying things far :) If you want to be informed as soon as a new chapter goes up, you can add Shadow Weaver to your library and you'll have a visual reminder. Have a great weekend, and don't forget to vote if you liked it... See you on Tuesday! C.