Chapter 18

Beth signed herself out of the hospital two hours later. She and I rode with Ann as Jeremy and Breea follow in his rental car.

I learned forward trying to crush the pain in my abdomen. I needed blood. Beth and Ann both smelled good. My fangs slid down, I pushed them back.

"Air off." I choked.

Beth turned around in her seat. The leather creaked, its scent swirling and mixing with Beth and Ann's. "Are you okay?" She inquired, eyeing me with concern.

"Hungry." I told her with a moan. I hadn't looked up. I knew my skin was pale. Sweat beaded my forehead. My hands trimbled even as I kept them clutched to my body.

I heard the leather crinkle. Then a electronic "Ting. Ting. Ting." As Beth pushed on the screen of her sister's phone.

I felt a small wave of fear. They were too close and I was loosing it. My mind was shattering under the force of the hunger. I hungered. I was hunger. My skin was damp from it.

"Alex needs blood.- Yes.- Bent over in the back seat.- Okay." Her voice and the smell of leather grew stronger as she turned to me. I couldn't focus on her conversation.

My mind was focused on the two heartbeats that were not my own. I could smell the scent of them. Blood flew through their very veins. The inside of the car seemed so still. But it was not silent. Heart beats. Pulses. Blood moving in rhythm. I heard it. Pain ripped up my abdomen and in to my chest.

I knew if I could just get a little blood I'd be okay. And they smelled so good. The sound of their heartbeats sounded good. Beth's scent was like heaven. The sound of her heart caused my own to speed up. Vaguely I recalled that I needed something else. But the thought caused a distinct taste of plastic to form on my tongue. I tried to force the taste from my mouth.

I heard murmmered voices but they sounded far away, indistint. I only heard the four heartbeats. Four? Yes. There were four.

"Bite." Beth said. My fangs descended at her command. Something cool and smooth was pressed to my mouth but I smelled her scent. I couldn't bite. I turned my head. But the smooth coolness was pressed to my mouth again. My fangs rubbed the inside of my lips.

There was a roaring in my ears, her scent moved away, I wanted to moan in longing.

Suddenly, with no warning, the scent of blood filled the air. I smelled the scent of plastic, humans, vampire and were. Human. I bit.

My fangs puntured the thin membrane of plastic, ripped a small tear and I moaned. Blood flowed into my mouth. I was beoynd caring that there was no emotion coneccted to the blood. I drank greedily. My hands found the bag and squeezed forcing the liquid into my mouth faster. My fangs had pulled back to keep the flow free flowing.

Slowly the rush of blood slowed and eventually stopped. The bag was empty but I was still full of hunger. I crushed the bag in my fist trying force more blood from it.

I growled, I crumpled the bag forcefully as I licked the punture marks.

"Alex."

I ignored the intrusion of the voice. Yet it persisted.

"Alex."

All I could see were Jeremy's hands pulling the empty bag from my fingers. I was not ready to give up my quest to make the bag release more of the life giving, hunger lleviating elixir.

"Alex." The she-cat called. She pushed another bag into my field of vision. I released the empty one and seized the new bag.

My fangs erupted before the new bag even touched my fingers. I puntured the bag, retracted my fangs and drank.

Calmer now, I heard more then I had before. A car passed but was blocked from my view, and me from it's, by Beth, Ann, Breea, and Jeremy. Breea and Jeremy stood closest to me.

I looked down, avoiding any of their eyes. The ground at their feet was rocks, pebbles and dirt. Small weeds tried to grow but barely managed to survive.

I squeezed the bag. Not because I was desperate but I wanted to be done. Only one of the people watching me actually understood our deep needs for blood. Even he couldn't understand what was going on with me. I didn't understand.

No one spoke and for that I was grateful. I didn't want to answer any questions. I drew back as soon as the second bag was empty. Jeremy moved forward and retrieved it.

Everyone else moved at the same time. Ann moved to the drivers seat of her car. Breea walked to Jeremy's car. Beth moved around the front of Ann's car and to the front passenger side seat. Jeremy followed Breea.

By the time we pulled onto the road still no one had spoken.

I had been glad of the silence but now it unnerved me. I studied the back of Beth's head, then Ann's. At least ten minutes passed before Ann spoke.

"A few things to note, Alex, the Marshall's left the place mostly furnished. All of their personal belongings left with them last month to Florida. The kitchen has a microwave and appliances but no dishes, flatware, or thing of that sort. The bedrooms have one set of linens each. There's no dining room table, that was Mrs. Marshall's grandmother's so it went with them. You will need towels and stuff for the bathrooms." She glanced quickly at me in the rearview mirror. "Any questions?"

"What's in the basement?" I deadpanned hopeing my worries didn't show.

"It was a rec room. But those things went to Florida. I think it's empty." I could hear worry in her voice. I wondered if it was for me or for her sister. Her sister most likely.

"How far?" I asked looking out the window.

"Five minutes." She said.