The Rivalry Chapter 25

Start from the beginning

Our armies focused a lot on archery and long sword fighting. The LeHarce focused on stealth, and quickness. They used long wooden bows, much like staffs, like the one Lex carried. They seemed useless, but once a man had perfected the use of the bow they were a deadly extension of the arm; highly underestimated. The LeHarce also used shorter swords, they didn't have as long of a reach, but they could be maneuvered more quickly and more accurately. The Ahmisto were straight forward while the LeHarce were more agile and accurate. The Ahmisto way of fighting focused on brute strength, while the LeHarce focused on stealth and agility. The LeHarce were just as strong as us, but they had tools we did not. This was one of the reasons we could never come out on top. I watched Grant for a few more moments as he was demonstrating fighting stances and he took one of the men's bows and held it. I watched him as he demonstrated the proper use of it and I wondered if there was any area in combat that he hadn't perfected. I would have stayed and watched the men for much longer, but my growling stomach reminded me of why I was out there in the first place.

I walked back quickly to the kitchen and was greeted much in the way I expected.

"Did you get lost!? Here for a moment I thought you had changed your mind and I would have to eat your omelet!" Reuben teased as he ushered me over to him, he was sitting at a wooden table accompanied by two wooden stools in the corner of the kitchen. I took three of the apples out of my apron and sat down to enjoy my breakfast. I savored every bite. The buttery light eggs that melted in my mouth and the fresh vegetables were very satisfying.

"You sure haven't lost your touch, this is delicious," I said as I sipped on some freshly squeezed orange juice.

"Ahh I'm glad you are pleased. Now once you have finished," he raised an eyebrow as I popped a slice of peach into my mouth, "we can start on your apple pastry. You may roll the dough, I haven't forgotten that it was always your favorite part of making them."

I smiled and finished my breakfast hastily and walked over to one of the many counters. I took some flour and spread it out over the counter and started to work the dough that Reuben brought me, as he peeled and sliced the apples. I took the extra apple I took from the orchard and wrapped it up in my one of my underskirts, a useful trick I learned when I was young.

Quite some time later, my apple pastry was baking and the kitchen smelled wonderful. I was playing one of my favorite card games with Reuben, one of the many reasons I always loved coming to the kitchen.

"I win again!" I laughed as Reuben pouted and threw his cards on the table.

"Good thing your pastry is done, I don't think I could handle losing again," he moped as he got up to take out my pastry. He cut it into four even sized pieces, put it on a plate and covered the top with a thin towel.

"There, now you can take it back with you when you go."

"Thank you Reuben, this has been a wonderful time," I said as I took my dessert and left. I brought the warm pastry up to my room and I set it on one of the end tables by the loveseat. I took out a piece of parchment paper and wrote a note, "A treat for the King, I hope you enjoy it. If I am gone among your return, I can be found at the lake."

I set the note next to the pastry and made my way to the stables. I found Cade right away and I kissed his snout. I unwrapped the hidden apple and took a bite from it. He snorted and I laughed. "Fine, you can have some too," I said as I held up the apple, he bit it in half.

"Feel like a ride to the lake today?" I asked and he whinnied, so I gave him the rest of the apple.
"Good, me too." I grabbed his mane and jumped onto his back and set off at a trot. It only took a few moments of trotting before Cade broke into a full gallop. It was exhilarating to ride this fast again and I was pleased my wound did not protest. We were at the lake in no time and I walked to one of my favorite spots. There was an old wooden stump, which was surrounded by wildflowers. From it I could see the entire lake and the view of it surrounded by the flowers and trees was beautiful. I sat there, just thinking and enjoying the sun on my back when I felt my hair being brushed to the side and what I suspected to be a light kiss planted on my shoulder. I smiled and craned my neck, knowing who was behind me.

"It's a beautiful sight, isn't it?" I asked as I turned my attention back to the lake.

"Yes it is, you come here often?" He asked as he crouched beside me.

"I used to when I was younger. I would come here and read for hours, or just sit and listen to the birds sing."

"It's a very peaceful place. Thank you for the dessert by the way, it was very good," he smiled and took my hand in his.

"You're welcome. I used to make them all the time when I went to the kitchens. I had a good time with Reuben this morning."

"I'm sorry for not letting you know where I was going, I planned on returning before you had awoken."

"Nonsense, it's quite alright. It had been much too long since my last visit to him anyways. I saw you with the men when I went to the orchard," he turned my hand so it was palm up, and he was lightly tracing the lines on my hand.

"Ahh, yes. I'm just giving some tips and hints. Roren does a good job training them, but there are a few other things I'd like them to know. They are all very good fighters, but too hasty; predictable, I'll work with them for a while."

"I see," I said as he dropped my hand and stood up.

"I probably wouldn't have found you here if it wasn't for Cade, he's a beacon just waiting to be seen," he chuckled as he looked at my pure white stallion.

I smiled and held out my hands. He took hold of my hands and pulled me up so I was standing with him. He wrapped an arm around my waist and held me close. He turned to face me and rest his forehead on mine. I looked into his eyes and smiled.

"You know, I think this arrangement is working out much better than either of us had anticipated," I said quietly.

He flashed me his beautiful smile before he tilted his face to mine and his lips were on mine again; sharing one blissful moment in time. A moment that neither of us had ever dreamed would happen. It was a moment that neither of us would forget, a moment that wiped every doubt from both of our minds.