Ridley

I awoke, staring in wonder at a sleeping Nesta. She looked so peaceful, sprawled against my chest. I slowly smoothed a lock of hair away from her face. My fingers tensed when I saw her tattoo. She stirred and opened her dark, blue eyes. Then she realized what exactly happened last night and scooted quickly away from me. She stared at me with wide eyes from a corner. A steady blush crept onto her face. Then she grabbed a boot and hurled it at me. It hit me in the head.

  "Get out." She said, curtly.

  I got up and hastened my steps out of the room. I pulled on my boots and a shirt. I yawned and climbed out of the window into the wilderness. Didn't my ancestors have padded feet and were more feline. If that was so, why did I look more human? Then my parents must have been cast out because one of my great grandparents were human. I took off my boots and left them next to the window. I began to run, feeling the wind ruffle my hair. My bare feet fell soundlessly on the dirt. It was wonderful to sprint and not bang into a wall. I had done that once and hadn't run in the ship anymore. I shot off with a burst of speed. I stopped suddenly before I hit a wall of rock. The vines grew down, thick and strong. I tugged on one, I was suprised to see it could hold my weight. I climbed up, my muscles straining but I kept going. I reached the top of a cliff and stood surveying the landscape. I could see endless jungle dotted with ruins. There was also a large, crystal clear lake on the other side. So this must be where the river comes from.

I climbed skillfully down and leapt gracefully from the last six feet. I landed in a crouch. I knelt next to the lake and stared at my reflection. I looked more healthy than I did when I was on the ship. I stood and wandered over to a rock jutting over the surface of the water. I clambered up, took off my shirt and trousers which left me in my briefs. I dove into the cool water, the water dulling my senses. I surfaced and treaded water until I dove under again. I swam underwater until I thought my lungs would burst. I paddled back to the rock, hauling myself on top of it again. I heard a rustle in the trees above me.

"I didn't know you could climb trees." I casually said.

Nesta dropped down behind me as I was pulling on my trousers.

"And I didn't know you could swim." She quipped.

"This place reminds me of Avalon. It's just so beautiful."

She sat on the edge swinging her legs. She wasn't wearing shoes again. I sat next to her.

"Look, I'm sorry about last night. I went a little crazy. Forgive me?" She smiled, serenely.

"It's alright. I'm thinking of hiding all the weapons so you don't do that again. You scared me." I grinned.

"I scared you? Impossible." She muttered.

We sat in silence for a while. I heard several birds twitter to one another. It was quite peaceful here.I turned to Nesta to speak to her but I was unable to say anything. She ignored my efforts to speak to her.

"Ridley, if you want to say something, say it. If not, I'm pushing you in the lake." She said, annoyed.

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. Next thing I knew I was swallowing lake water. I kicked to the surface and glared at a laughing Nesta. I grabbed her ankle and yanked her in. She yelped and splashed into the water. She came up coughing and sputtering. I gave her a smug grin. She shoved me under the water. We both heard a booming bark and then,

"Oh, no." We both said at the same time.

An almighty wave slammed into us as Fychan plunged into the water. He swam quite happily over to us. His tongue lolled out like he was grinning at us. He paddled over to Nesta and shoved his face into hers. A moment later, she turned bright red.

"What did he say?"

"Nothing." She squeaked.

I beckoned her to follow me which she did. We dove under the water where dozens of fish swam in and out of aquatic plants. My hand gripped her wrist and I suddenly found myself pulling her towards me. Then I stopped, I wasn't sure if she wanted me to. She didn't seem to notice my actions very much. She turned a blind eye to whatever I did. It was frustrating and it made me angry. I let go and surfaced taking a deep breath of air in before swimming to shore. Nesta came not too long afterwards.