Nesta

He was looking at me strangely again. What was with him? I treated him like a brother than anything else. There couldn't be anything else he was thinking of. I put those thoughts out of my mind. I cleared my throat and continued walking  along the ruins. I turned so I was walking backwards.

   "Thank you for saving me again." I beamed.

   I whipped around so my back was to him. 

  "It was no trouble." He grunted.

  I heard a crash and then a lot of splashing. Next thing I knew, I was mowed down by Fychan. His tongue slathered my face. I heaved him off me and sat as he stared at me, panting. I groaned and pulled my damp shirt away from my body. Fychan shook himself, splattering Ridley. I giggled while Ridley fumed. I missed you, Mistress, he spoke in my head.

  "Where were you earlier, huh Fychan?" 

I scratched behind his ear and his back leg thumped on the ground. Silly creature, he adored me. I stood up and Fychan lowered his body so I could climb on. I did so and he rose to his full height. Fychan trotted calmly along.

  "Do you want ride along with me, Ridley?" I asked.

    "No. I do not know how to. I'm sorry." He sounded grumpy.

   "Come on it's quite easy." 

  I extended a hand down to him. He grudgingly placed a hand in mine. I swiftly tugged him up and behind me. He slowly wrapped his arms around my waist. As soon as he did that, Fychan sped off like a bat out of hell. I gripped the fur at his neck until my knuckles whitened.

   "Slow down, Fychan!" I shouted.

     Vines and branches thumped me in the face as Fychan continued his break neck speed. What had gotten into Fychan? Do not like this mans memories, Fychan spoke in my head. What did Fychan mean by that? I heard a thud behind me as Ridley fell off.

   "Stop!" I commanded.

   Fychan slowed down to a walk and I slid down to the ground. I half ran over to Ridley. His face was embedded in the earth. With a groan he flipped himself over, showing that his face was caked in mud. I couldn't help myself, it started with a sputter and then I was in hysterics. 

  "Now who's clumsy!?" I gasped between giggles.

     With a shriek Ridley pulled me into a muddy puddle. I landed hard on my bottom.

      "Hey!" I yelped.

     Ridley picked up a glob of mud and flung it at my cheek. He smirked at my startled face. I retaliated with a fist full of mud down the back of his shirt. Then the skies opened releasing a torrent of water which drenched us to the bone. Ridley stood, shaking drops of mud from his hair. I started to stand but I slipped. Ridley caught me around the waist and held me until I regained my balance. He let go and I hopped back onto a damp Fychan.

   "I'll walk, if you don't mind." 

     "Are you sure?" 

   He nodded. I quickened Fychans pace until we reached the river. The river was swollen and was about ready to burst its banks. Fychan nimbly leapt onto the bridge which was rapidly becoming covered with water. He leapt down on the other side, I turned to watch as Ridley was approaching the river. He slipped and bashed his head on a rock. The water quickly engulfed his body, sweeping him downstream.

   "Ridley!" I screamed.

   I jumped off Fychan and ran down to the river. The water reached my waist and it was icy cold. I dove under, I caught sight of him. I grabbed him around the middle and tugged him to the surface. I half dragged him to the surface. Fychan came over and lowered himself so I could heave Ridley onto him. I climbed on behind Ridley and held him up. It was a slow ride to our sanctuary. I leapt off and opened the door. Ridley was coming around but he was shivering as I now was. I helped him indoors out of the rain, Fychan slunk in and sat in a corner facing a wall. Ridley sat next to the door, shivering violently. I piled wood in the stone circle and lit it. Something similar had happened in my village but the person did not survive. Damn it, I wasn't going to lose him. I peeled off his shirt and chucked it into a corner, the boots came off next with a sucking sound. I swung a blanket around his shoulders. His shoulders shook less now. I scooped a pan of rainwater out of the bucket and set it on a stone to boil.

   "Fychan. Watch him. If anything happens, tell me, alright?" I asked.

   Of course, Mistress, he told me. I walked off to change into dry clothes. I squeezed out the water and draped them over a hook. I dressed in dry clothes and went back to Ridley. I sat next to him trying to warm him. The water had boiled and I moved it away from the flames adding some fragrant leaves which Fychan told me made good tea. I waited until it wasn't scolding and pressed it into Ridley's hands. Ridley had come out of his stupor and took a long drink making a slightly disgusted face at the taste.

  "Nesta, where is my shirt?" He clutched the blanket around himself.

  "That is the first thing you say after I saved your life? Seriously, Ridley?" I frowned.

  I scooted away from him and sat on the opposite side of the fire. I fumed at him.

  "Thank you. I guess that area was slippery than I thought." He stared into the depths of his tea.

   Outside the rain pounded on. At this rate it would be impossible to leave here. I sighed, placing my head in my hands. It was going to be a long day.