Chapter 30: The Stray of the Group

Mr. Rexus was announcing the next act as I started my walk to my band, my family and friends. When they noticed me walking over, Brendon hopped up and sped over. He crashed into me and hugged me tightly.

"You did amazing!" He whispered, kissing the top of my head. He looked up and saw Karen and Charlie. He then ran to them and hugged them both at the same time too. "You all did amazing!" An angry parent shushed us. "Sorry." Brendon said, pulling away from them and leaning us to our saved seats. Dallon reaches up and snags me in a hug, I giggle and hug his arm. All the guys hugged me too. I then got to the seat next to Spencer and sat down. He looks over at me.

"It's nice to finally meet you." He said, reaching his hand out to shake mine. "I've head so much about you, your performance was incredible by the way." He said smiling. Brendon looks over at us happily. I smile back before looking at the stage. Out walked a girl in a black tank top, red flannel, dark blue skinny jeans, tons of brackets, and an acoustic guitar in hand. She had shoulder length brown curls. She got to the mic and smiled.

"Hello, my name in Chloe. I'm going to be singing a song by the band called Sleeping With Sirens. It's called The Strays." She said, smiling at the end as she took a seat on the chair behind her. She adjusted the mic so it was at mouth level. Bringing her fingers to the frets, she spoke again. "I only learned this this week so excuse me if I mess up." She said, smiling a little. A look over to a huge group of "popular" girls, the were whispering around. She begins to strum.

"Hubcaps and ashtrays, I was born but wasn't raised. The big wheel, the blank space. Tried my best but wasn't praised." She sang absolutely beautiful, I look over to Brendon. His mouth is wide open. "Hell is so close to heaven, hell is so close to heaven." She sang. "Hold on, don't look back. You know we're better we're better then that. Lost and thrown away, you know we're better we're better then that. We are the strays, woah. We are the strays." She sang passionately into the mic. Brendon quickly got out his phone. I lean over.

"What are you doing?" I whisper. He looks over at me.

"I always record acts that have potential." He whispers back. I look back at her. She literally looks like a female version of Kellin Quinn, it's kinda scary. The hair, the flannel even matches the one he wore in The Strays music video. Her voice is extremely similar to his too.

"Train tracks to the stage, I play that role, the one you made. Long nights and the worst days, lived it all and did not break. Hell is so close to heaven, hell is so close to heaven." She sang the lyrics. The rest of our little groups eyes were wide open watching her. She clearly has some experience with singing and guitar. Her voice is absolutely amazing, she clearly warmed up before this. It's weird, I don't think I've ever seen her here before. She continues to sing.

As she finishes the sing, she faded the words to a stop. After she finished, she stood up and bowed. The crowd went wild, this girl is a natural born performer. She left the stage wearing a smile. Mr. Rexus walked out to present the next act.

AFTER THE LAST FEW ACTS•

"Ok everyone, that was our last act of the show. If our judges could now discuss winners." He said waiting patiently on stage. The room was full of tension. The acts all looked around making eye contact. All of the sudden the middle judge stood up and walked onto the stage. Rexus handed him the mic and stood back.

"Ok hello everyone, my name is Todd Marten from Garfield Record Store. After all those acts, as judges we chose three acts that we found quite incredible." He said unfolding the paper that was in his hands. "Now who wants to hear the results!" He said, everyone cheered. "Alright.

Spencer and I switched seats about ten minutes ago because I wanted to sit by the Charlie and Karen. We all looked at each other and joined hands.

"Ok, so as most of you know there are three awards. First place, second place, and third place. How about we start with third place first." He said. There was a wave of cheers. The three of us all looked at each other and squeezed each other's hands.

"Third place goes to..." He looks around before looking back at the paper, this is getting suspenseful. "Third place goes to The dancing duo!" He said a little over dramatic. Three girls jump up and hug each other, they look so happy. I smile and watch them as the run up to the stage. Mr. Rexus walks backstage and brings out a small trophy, the girls eyes light up. They took the trophy and stepped back. The three of us look at each other, Charlie squeezes my hand and smiles. I smile back. We then look at the stage.

"Second place goes to..." He quote 'drops' the paper. He slowly leans down to get it, God just say it already. He slowly brings himself back up. "Second place goes to... Bohemian Rhapsody!" He says. We all look at each other, all wearing smiles. We placed in the talent show. We jump up and hug before starting the walk to the stage. We hop on it and except it. Our award is even bigger then the third place winners, they smile at us too. We take out place next to them and except the clapping. Brendon has his phone out again. Rina rolled her eyes at us. The judge walked up the the mic again.

"Alright, that leaves first place." He says looking down at the paper. "First place goes to..." Everyone is quite. "Chloe performing The Strays!" He said, she looks extremely surprised. People are cheering as she slowly makes her way to the stage. When she gets up, she takes the award. She looks so surprised. She walks next to us. "Now it's a tradition for the first place winner to come up and give a speech." He said walking over to her and leading her to the mic, her eyes are really wide. She's shaking her head at him. He walks away leaving her at the mic. She looks at the award.

"So, I don't really know what to say." She starts, she looks down at the award. "I've never really won anything before. I'm just glad a sing a song that meant a lot to me, I always am the stray of the bunch. So, thank you. This means a lot to me." She said smiling and stepping back. The judge comes back out and starts talking. We all look at Chloe again, I shuffle over a little.

"That was really good." I said, she looks over at me. "Kellin would be proud." I say. She smiles and looks down at her award.

"Thanks." She said before looking up again. "You know, that really means a lot coming from you." She said looking at me.

"Really?" I ask, am I really that cool?

She giggles. "Yeah." She says smiling. "Your an amazing singer and guitarist." She says. I smile.

"Wow thanks Chloe," I say smiling still. She smiles and looks over at a pair of mad looking parents. Her smile fades.

"I have to go." She said looking back at me. "It was really nice talking to you." She smiled a little before hopping off the stage and walking to the parents. I watch as she walks, she seems like a really nice girl. I am then swung around into a bone crushing hug, Brendon.

"I'm so proud of you!" He said before pulling away. "That's going to look great on the award mantel." He said smiling down at me, I smile too. I look down at the award. We won this, this could be a start. This could be my start.