"Okay everyone, why don't we introduce ourselves to Phil here?"
I'm one of the only people to acknowledge the woman talking, simply with a weak smile. Half of the others don't even turn to look at her. She works here, I guess. Some sort of therapist.
"Just like usual, when we have someone new. Name, age, and why you're here. Why don't we start with you, Lily?"
Its not difficult for me to tune out the droning monotonous voices, and I do so almost instantly. I glance at my watch. Only and hour and thirty seven minutes left. Then I can finally leave this place. It's been less than half an hour, but already this place is getting to me.
I'm not opposed to mental hospitals or anything, but I'm not exactly here by choice. It was either spending a couple hours here every day for the next couple of weeks, or failing my psychopathology class. I only took it because it seemed kind of interesting, but now I'm starting to regret that decision. I'm not one to be content with low grades, even in non-mandatory classes, so I'd asked how I could bring my grade up, and this was the answer. My professor's a nice guy and all, but I wish he had just given me some kind of make-up extra credit assignment rather than making me actually volunteer with mental patients.
I snap out of my thoughts when I realize its gone silent. For a moment I think they've asked me a question and they're expecting me to say something, but then I realize the therapist woman is staring at a skinny boy with hair falling into his eyes. He's drumming his fingers on his seat so fast they all blur together.
She clears her throat. "Dan? Why don't you introduce yourself to Phil."
"I'm Dan," he mumbles.
"And how old are you?" She coaxes.
"Eighteen."
"And why're you here?"
His drumming speeds up.
"Dan?"
"I don't know."
She laughs, a short, forced laugh, barely hiding the bitterness built up inside her from having to deal with things like this day after day.
"Come on, Dan. Remember, this is a safe place. No one is judging you."
He stays silent, letting the sound of his tapping fingers fill the tiny room.
She sighs, but before she can speak the tapping abruptly stops and he cuts in.
"There's nothing wrong with me."
She looks slightly taken aback. "Of course not, it's just a mental illne-"
"There's nothing wrong with me."
The woman glances at me apologetically, the same way the mother of a child throwing a fit in public would.
"There is nothing wrong with me."
He glances around the room without making eye contact with anyone, then gets up and leaves. No one tries to stop him.

as with chapter ⅰ im 99% sure ill be making some small changes and fixing up this chapter bc i dont think it's that clear and it kinda sucks but whatever i feel like i should post it lmao