“Let’s get moving.” Emily said, standing up and slinging her bag over her shoulder. She started forward and didn’t look back; just trusting that her brother and two friends were right behind her.

            Emily knew that she had a long night ahead of her. Once everyone was asleep, she would have to sneak into the city to hunt for some food and supplies. Emily always waited until Logan, Sydney, and Mikey were asleep, that way she didn’t have to worry about them following her, especially Logan. He hated it when she went by herself, but what he didn’t understand was, that was the best way. She is quieter than the rest of them and very fast. By herself, she didn’t have to wait for anyone or worry about the others’ safety. She knew that her brother would try to take watch that night; it didn’t take a genius to see that they were low on supplies. He knew that she would try and sneak off. But what he didn’t know was Emily had just the thing…to make him sleep.

            “I’m out of water. Can I have some of yours, Emily?” Logan asked as he held his canteen upside down. Logan was confused as to why his canteen that was half-full just a few minutes was already gone. He only had had a few sips.

            Emily smiled to herself, “No problem.” She placed her small metal pan on the ground, her food staying on the plate, as she stood up and picked up his canteen. She walked to her bag, her back to the fire and the three people sitting around it. She picked up her own canteen and poured about the same amount of water she had taken, back into his canteen, before placing a small pill inside it to dissolve. She screwed the tap back on and moved back over to the fire, pitching Logan his infected canteen. He drew his gaze away from Mikey, caught the bottle and smiled at his sister. “Thanks!” He said, taking a big swig out of it.

            Emily’s smile grew, “Like I said, no problem.” She sat down and picked up her plate again, taking a small bite out of her hot dog, minus the bun. They had run out of all bread about a week ago.

            She watched as Mikey went to sleep, followed by Sydney. Emily locked gazes with Logan. His once determined eyes looked tired. “I got watch tonight.” He told her, stubbornly.

            “Are you sure? You look tired.” She said, tilting her head. “I don’t mind taking it for the first half of the night. I’ll wake you up in six hours.” She said, not breaking her gaze.

            “No really, I’m fine.” He replied. She just shrugged and lay back on the ground. She used her jacket as a pillow and closed her eyes, pretending to go to sleep.

            Fifteen minutes later and she sat up, glancing over at her brother. Yep, dead asleep. She smiled as she stood up and emptied her pack. She put her boots back on and tied the strings tightly before heading out. She never glanced back.

(Right here would be a great time to play the song on the side :) thank you!)

            Emily threw her body against the edge of a building and slowly peeked around the corner; all clear. She jogged low, with her head up and her knees bent down. She stopped and squatted behind an abandoned car, rising slowly to peer through the windows at the street. There was still no one in site. She shuffled around the car, still in a crouched position and looked down the road both ways, checking to make sure there was no E.T.s coming her way. Then she set her gaze on the small grocery store door, and bolted for it. She pushed at the door, lucky to find it unlocked and closed it behind her. She slowly walked forward, both hands on the gun she found in one of the cars. She had checked for bullets, happy to find a whole box of them in the glove compartment and loaded the gun.

            She made a sweep of all the aisles, mentally claiming that the coast was clear. She placed her gun down on a counter before taking her bag from her arm and unzipping it. She went from aisle to aisle, loading it up with as much as she can carry; mostly bread, hot dogs, buns, and a bunch of canned items. She also grabbed as many water bottles as possible. She was almost done when she heard the door opening. She froze, and was confirmed by the bell that rings once the door opens. She squeezed her eyes shut and mentally snapped at herself for putting her pistol down. It was all the way across the store.

            Emily slowly and quietly bent down and placed her bag on the ground, before standing back up. She stepped back against a shelf and slowly edged over, looking down the current aisle. There was no one there. She silently jumped to the next aisle and again peered around the corner as stealthily as possible. Again, there was no one in that aisle. But she could hear two sets of footsteps in the building, and two voices, and neither of them was hers.

            Emily moved to the next aisle and, once again, pressed herself to a shelf and took a deep breath. She stared at the wall in front of her and sent a small prayer before leaning over and looking down the next aisle. She quickly straightened up as she saw the tall figure walking in her direction. Luckily, it was facing away from her, walking backwards as it talked to the other figure somewhere else in the store; but her heart still pounded as sweat beaded her forehead. She silently turned back to the aisle she had just crossed and walked swiftly down the corridor before reaching the end. She peered around the corner and moved to place herself near the shelf. She was now facing the front of the store. She waited a minute before peering into the aisle, relieved to find that the figure had moved on to another aisle. Unfortunately, Emily did not know which aisle that was. The one she had just left, or the one she is about to come to?

            She took a deep breath and moved to the next shelf. She looked at the ceiling, building the courage to look down the aisle. She glanced to her left, seeing her gun about five aisles down. She took another breath before slowly scanning the next aisle. She silently let out her breath as she saw it was also empty. She moved on, hoping for better luck. Four more. Just as she was about to peer down the aisle, she heard a shout. “Hey you!” Emily swung around to see one of the figures facing her about five aisles back to the right. She wasted no time as she sprinted down the front and dived for her gun. She heard shots ring all around her as her hand clamped down around the metal and her body hit the ground. She quickly flipped over and began shooting as she pushed out her feet, sliding her body towards the nearest aisle. Once she reached cover, unharmed, she jolted to her feet and ran down the aisle. She had to get to her bag. She didn’t come all this way for nothing.

            She heard footsteps running in her direction and so she sprinted across two aisles before pushing against a shelf. She heard them pass the aisle and she ran for her bag. She knew they would be running up the last aisle any time and so she urged her legs to move faster down to the other end. Right as her hands made contact with her bag, she heard more shots swish by her face. She turned as she swung the bag over her shoulder, and fired two shots before running down the aisle. She heard one of the E.T.s cry out in pain and smiled. She ran for the door as fast as possible, cringing as glass broke beside her from a bullet. She pushed the door open and broke into a run down the side of the street. She sprinted two blocks before turning into an alley and slamming straight into someone.

Thank you for reading!! :) Please comment or vote if you liked it!!!! )