Chapter 42

Lauren's POV

The next morning I’m back at his room all the same. I attempt to amuse him with different games or YouTube videos and it seems to work for the most part, but every once in a while I’d say or do something and he’d get that far-off expression and I’d see the pain reflected in his eyes. At those times, he’d go silent and nothing I could say would get him out of it. He always returned to me eventually, but it could take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour until he was ready to talk again. I didn’t ask about it anymore. It was obviously hard for him, and I wasn’t a psychiatrist. I didn’t know what to say to make it all better. I figured if he wanted to talk about it, he’d bring it up. A few friends home for Thanksgiving break or those that hadn’t gone to college stop by for a bit to see how he is, but they never stay for long. Madison was busy planning her wedding and our other friends didn’t know how to react. It’s around lunch when my phone rings. It startles me because I don’t know who’d be calling me. Hunter was here with me and Peyton, Steph, and Logan knew not to call me this week. The screen flashes Louis’ name and I blink a few times, remembering my life wasn’t just college and Blake. I glance over at Hunter and Blake who are deeply immersed in a game of poker, using M&M’s from the vending machine as chips, before exiting the room.

“Hello?” I ask, as I answer the phone.

“Hey” he chirps. “So we’ve got our last performance tonight so I’ll be on the first plane tomorrow. I—“

“Louis, what are you talking about?” I ask confused. He’s silent a minute.

“Thanksgiving? You were going to teach me to hunt…” he trails off with a ‘duh’ tone. The thought makes me recoil. How could he even think of guns after what Blake had been through?

“Louis, Blake’s in the hospital…” I trail off. I knew he knew. Peyton had answered my phone once when I’d been curled up in my bed, unresponsive to anyone.

“I know, but—“

“But we’re not having thanksgiving dinner. I’ll be in the hospital with him having turkey sandwiches.”

“But I haven’t seen you in weeks” he complains. I feel a rush of anger. He was complaining about not seeing each other in weeks, while Blake was missing a leg. How did he think they were comparable?

“Look Louis, I’m sorry, but that’s the way it is.” I snap.

“Fine” he retorts angrily. “When you decide you have time for your boyfriend again, give me a call.” He says, hanging up. I stare at my phone in shock, I couldn’t believe his reaction. My best friend was in pain, but he expected me to drop everything for him? I don’t think so. I walk back into the room, faking a smile when Hunter and Blake look up, before settling back down on Blake’s bed. I wasn’t supposed to be on it because the nurses were afraid I’d upset his stitches, but we ignored them. He raises the arm with the sling, allowing me to crawl under so I’m laying in front of him with his arms on either side of me. I’m able to see his cards and I grin, stealing one of the M&M’s in the pot, popping it into my mouth.

“Hey! I was going to win that,” Hunter complains good-naturedly.

“No you weren’t,” I say with a laugh. “He’s got a flush”

“Hey” Blake says with a laugh while Hunter considers his cards with a frown.

“I fold,” he says, setting down his cards. 

“I was going to finish him off” Blake jokes.

“When did you become such a card shark?” I ask with a laugh, grabbing another M&M from his large pile. I quickly realize I shouldn’t have said that though when he gets that distant expression. I guess I found out where he’d become one.  I glance over at Hunter but he just shrugs, not knowing what to do either.